Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
I never tried it. I remember seeing a post on a different forum a while ago of someone who mounted wide tires on CXP-33 rims, and one of the rims eventually split open and caused a bad accident. There was lots of discussion, but I think everyone finally agreed that the wide tire was the problem.

·
FroginOzzie
53 Posts
I have run 35mm randonneur tyres (Vittoria) or even 37mm hybrid tyres (continental double fighter) on Open Pro rims without any problems. Some people even run 29er MTB tyres on road rims.
If there is a risk, I don't believe it is at the rim level, usually wider tyres run lower pressure and stress the rim less. Extreme low pressures can lead to the bead not staying on the rim hook in the corners but I think if you stay at reasonable pressures, it should be no problems.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
laffingmonk said:
Hi - First post here.
Anyone ever mounted 32c tires to Shimano 7801 wheels? Recommended tire width is 19-25.
I used 32mm Challenge tires on OpenPro rims for two years without issues. As Eric said, pressures are usually quite low relative to, say, 90psi+ for narrower tires. I went down to around 45psi many times and never over 60.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts