Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should post this in the Shimano forum but anyone ridden both the 7850 C24 Tubeless as well as the 7850 SL Tubeless? Thinking of getting some Shimano Dura Ace Wheels just not sure if its worth to go to the carbon laminates or not? Pros vs Cons?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm having the same debate.

The weight difference is not very large, so the upgrade to the carbon rims would be for ride comfort. I don't know how different the two are in that department.

Bought new, I'm definitely going for the SLs. A good deal on used TLs though..I'm not sure how far above the new SL price is worth it.

Chainreaction has the best price on SLs that I've found, by the way. They don't have the TLs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thats what I was wondering does the carbon laminent really make for a smoother ride? Definitely going tubeless though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I own the SL's, I've ridden the C24 TL's once on a friend's bike so that doesn't really count, but for what it's worth... The mechanic at the bike shop who is an avid road biker said he used to own a set of both of these wheels, at the same time. I found this out while talking to him as he helped me put on a Fusion 3 tire when I first got the wheels. He said that he loved both sets of wheels and ended up selling the C24 TL's because he had such a hard time telling the difference between the two. Hope this at least helps you out a bit.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
go with the TL only if you plan to ride TL tires.

my friend got a set of Ultegra 6700 TL wheels to use them with standard clinchers, set the clinchers on them is a PITA. I guess changing a flat on the road will not be any easier.

·
Banned
175 Posts
I tested both before buying, I went with the SL due to several reasons - price, strength, durability. The price is lesser for the SL, the rim is all aluminum with scandium added for strength, and there is not a carbon laminate over a thinner aluminum rim without scandium. The weight difference is less than 100 grams and no risk of delamination of the carbon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts