Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read great reviews about Shimano's new 7900 asymmetrical chain. Any thoughts on throwing it on a Campy 10 speed drive train and getting goods results? Longevity?

G

·
Doubt there are too many of them with plenty of mileage on them at this point, a few but not many. The cheapest prices I see for it make it reasonable to try if you're interested though. Don't know that I would expect it too be much better than the alternatives that are about that same price or cheaper now from the right vendor.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
i talked to our shimano guy today and he said that because of the way the new 7900 chainrings are shaped, the new chain works really well w/ them, but would probably not work as well as a 7800 chain on 7800 rings. that said, it seems that to benefit from the new chain, you need to have the new rings. who knows, it might work just great on campy rings...probably worth a try.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Updates on the 7900 chain?

Wondering if anybody could provide some feedback on their Dura Ace 7900 chain, now that some time has passed. Prices out there seem to run about a 20% premium over the 7801 variant.

Principally:
1. Does it work well with a 7800 system?
2. How durable is it? Better than a 7801?

I really like the quick-connect feature. Mine has only about 800 miles or so - - hardly enough to report on longevity.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I couldn't tell you if it works with the the 7800, I just swapped out a Ultegra group for the 7900 group and so far Iv'e only put a few hundred miles on the group. The chain is very quiet. The quick connect is no longer available from Shimano, I used a Wipperman quick link without any problems. I think a few guys have used a 7800 chain on their 7900 groups.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been using a 7900 chain with quick-link on 7800 for 3 months...

No problems at all. Shimano's Dura Ace site says the 7900 chain is compatible with 7800. When I bought mine from PBK, they were running a deal that made the 7900 chain only 10 dollars more than the 7800. Rear shifting is the same but shifting to the big ring is much snappier. Highly recommended after using it :thumbsup: about 1000 miles!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tachymetres said:
... but shifting to the big ring is much snappier.
I agree. I'm amazed with how well 7900 shifts. Even on a compact, with 16 tooth difference, it shifts instantly. So fast, in fact, that a couple of times I would have wondered if it had actually shifted at all if the gearing hadn't suddenly got harder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts