Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I installed a 7900 compact crankset and chain there is a lot of noise when using the large chainring. I have had this setup on two different bikes with both a 7900 and 7800 chain and both are noisy. Lubing the chain helps but it doesn't last very long. From what I read this is a common issue with 7900 and it may get quieter as it wears in. I believe the large chainring has something to do with it. I am wondering if a different chain might help. I have a KMC X10 chain on another bike and it seems like a nice chain and has a quick link instead of the stupid Shimano installation pin.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This summer I changed to a 7950 from a 7900 crank. My old 7900 chain always gave me a little bit of noise in the 3 largest cogs. I just put on a new 7900 chain and everything is silent now.

As an FYI...make sure that your jockey pulleys are squeeky clean on the RD...dirty ones make for a noisy rear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just installed a new Ultegra 6700 chain and am having the same issue. When using the 3 largest rear cogs with the large front crank, the RD gets very noisy.

I thought perhaps lengthening the chain would help ease the tension on the RD jockey pulleys. I purchased a set of Shimaon installation pins and added 2 inches of the chainlinks I had originally removed. Its a little bit better now but still not as quiet as it should be. I 'll give it a while to wear in. If it doesn't quiet down within a month, I may try a different name-brand chain.

One thing is for sure...I'm not impressed with Shimano for selling what is essentially a defective product. One purchases a new chain with the intention of obtaining a smoother drivetrain...not a noisier one.:mad2:

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
To the OP - are you sure the chain is installed properly with the markings on the chain facing out? Unlike a lot of other chains these have some very specific install instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts