Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting back into road biking (after getting back into mountain biking too)

I have done some scanning and wanted to confirm some things and clarify others wrt my desire to install a compact (50/34) crank on my 11 year old bike (lemond OCLV Chambery) with shimano 600 (ultegra) shifters and front derailer with a NEW ultegra long cage RD and large casette (28T)

Questions:

1. Old STI shifters should work fine
2. Should FD work fine? Just lower it a little for the 50T?
3. Should shorten the chain a few links (how to know exactly how many to remove?)
4. get spindle length BB that crank recommends (unless same one with same spindle shape is already there)...BC137 (as on now) with the width that I still have to measure...i have never removed a BB either...
4. RD should work fine
5. of lowest concern (but still a minor minor one) rest of the components are polished metal so that would be ideal
6. is there anything else i am missing?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
opdeuce said:
my LBS said that i needed the long cage when i they put the larger cassette on ...is this not true? thanks
I would try the short cage first. I shifted a 11x30 8spd cassette with a Shimano 105 short cage. It was fine. Try it out if you are not satisfied with how it works then buy the long cage. Also, I am using a Shimano 105 double FD to shift a 46/34 crank and it works fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately, they put the long cage RD on a while ago already...hmmmm, your short cage works fine with a 30! seems like i may not have needed the long cage for my 28T then, eh? good to hear your double FD works with the compact...although I wonder if it would make a difference if you were using a 50/34?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used it briefly on a 50/34 and it worked fine, but I have a lot more experience with the 46/34. I actually like it better than the Centaur compact derailleur I also use. I have to trim the Centaur more than the 105.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.