Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than FD adjustment, what else do I need to do to swap my 8 speed crank for a 9 speed? I expect a chain length difference, do I buy a new 8 or 9 speed chain? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you upgrading to 9 speed or just swapping out the crank? If you are just swapping out the crank, you don't need to do anything. It will work fine.

Replace the chain only if it's worn (12 lengths of chain should be very close to 12 inches). If the number of teeth remain the same in the old and new crankset, you won't need to adjust the length of the chain. If you are upgrading to 9 speed, you will need 9 speed everything but the front derailleur (and cranks, but you are already getting them).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crank mainly

bikephilly said:
Are you upgrading to 9 speed or just swapping out the crank? If you are just swapping out the crank, you don't need to do anything. It will work fine.

Replace the chain only if it's worn (12 lengths of chain should be very close to 12 inches). If the number of teeth remain the same in the old and new crankset, you won't need to adjust the length of the chain. If you are upgrading to 9 speed, you will need 9 speed everything but the front derailleur (and cranks, but you are already getting them).
I have a hybrid that has a mountain crank 44/26 and I want more top end. I just realized that I might score an 8 speed crank with square taper at the swap meet in Westminster, MD this Sunday. It's a great meet and not that far from Philly, I recommend it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't believe I have to miss it... again. My son was born 2 years ago on Feb 5th. I can't wait until he's old enough to ask to go to the bike swap on his birthday. I've got him asking now, but everyone knows he's been coached.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts