Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background:

I am building my new cross frame using parts from the old one. The shifters are Shimano R600 (short reach version of Ultegra) and worked fine the last time I road the bike a month or so ago. I start the build, install shifters, chain, derailleurs and route the rear shifter cable. Next I want to set the adjustment on the RD. When I move the shifter to shift up to the next largest cog, no movement. I take the slack out the cable and try again, same. Then I hold the cable in my hand on the downtube to see if the shifter is pulling any cable and it is not.

So, my questions are:

Is this a terminal problem?
Is it possible that it can be repaired?
Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Is it possible that

JFRCross said:
A little background:

I am building my new cross frame using parts from the old one. The shifters are Shimano R600 (short reach version of Ultegra) and worked fine the last time I road the bike a month or so ago. I start the build, install shifters, chain, derailleurs and route the rear shifter cable. Next I want to set the adjustment on the RD. When I move the shifter to shift up to the next largest cog, no movement. I take the slack out the cable and try again, same. Then I hold the cable in my hand on the downtube to see if the shifter is pulling any cable and it is not.

So, my questions are:

Is this a terminal problem?
Is it possible that it can be repaired?
Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks for the help.
The button on the cable end is not engaged or in it's proper place inside the shifter? I once had a rear RSX shifter that the cable end button got beyond the stop inside the shifter and had a hell of a time getting it out of there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The cable end is definately not where it should be. I am trying to get it out. I got to move a bit but can't get it close enough to the edge so that I can grab it. Any tips on getting the cable out?

Thanks again for the quick answer.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Just a thought...maybe the shifter and the rear derailleur are not in sync. Try shifting down to the smallest cog and then continue trying to shift to make sure the shifter is at the end of it's range. You may then find that you have to re tension the inner wire and go from there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ARP nailed it I think. The cable end is stuck and was not seated in the right spot. I did shift it down all the way to make sure and then re-tension. The shifter was just not pulling the cable at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.