Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone clarify or explain? thanks. i purchased a kuota kredo frameset that didn't come with the cable guide, so i am looking for one.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Brand specific

theone29 said:
can someone clarify or explain? thanks. i purchased a kuota kredo frameset that didn't come with the cable guide, so i am looking for one.
I guess I've been living under a rock, because I have just bought "BB cable guides" without asking for a Campy or Shimano specific unit. I'm surprised that there is such as thing as component brand specific guides. IME, they are universal and it makes no difference which brand of components you use.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Doesn't make a diff... make sure you get one for road bikes...they are all nylon now..reminds me that I should replace mine this spring when I install new cables..

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Dude, if your bike has Campy on it then you HAVE to get the Campy cable guide. No mixing and matching. No way no how. Nope. You have to do it. I don't care if it costs three times more than the Shimano version. :)

It won't make a shred of difference between the Campy or the Shimano version. Seeing as how it is underneath the bike, even the most diehard Campy afficianado would be hard pressed to see that you have a Shimano one on your bike. Performance-wise, there is no difference.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
I put a Shimano guide on my all Campy bike and the guide spontaneously combusted a day later... I guess that's better than the carbon frame doing that!

I must have 3 of those Campy guides laying around... frames tend to come with a guide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up an 07 Kuota Khredo frame and am needing a cable guide for it. Are the shimano road bike guides kinda one size fits all? If anybody has a part# that'd be great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have metal cable guides brazed underneath my BB shell. I never there was any other kind. Seems like nylon would be a little slicker. Do the non-metallic guides ever wear through?

·
9,790 Posts
anvil78 said:
I just picked up an 07 Kuota Khredo frame and am needing a cable guide for it. Are the shimano road bike guides kinda one size fits all? If anybody has a part# that'd be great.
1. Go to bike shop.
2. Ask for BB Cable Guide.
3. When dude asks "How many?" say 1 or 2.
4. Make a purchase of something in the store that you need.
5. Dude will tell you to put cable guides in your pocket.
6. Leave store all happy.

I swear I must have 200 of those things laying around....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts