Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the Tektro calipers on my Wife's bicycle with Shimano 105 BR-R7000 calipers. She already had Shimano 105 levers.

When I went to fix the cables in the new calipers, I discovered that the cable-end ferrules did not fit into the cable adjustment barrels on the calipers. Rather than a round receptacle the BR-R7000s have a square entry into the adjustment barrel. I had to strip off the cable-end errules and insert the cable housing without them.

Does this make sense? Anyone else experience this? Any downside to using the cable ends without ferrules?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. That won't be possible and I believe these to be standard dia cable housings with very thin ferrules. Seems the square entry point of the caliper's adjusting barrel is the cause.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Measured and cable housing is the standard 5mm. O.D. of end cap ferrules is 5.6mm. I am finding multiple references for Shimano calipers to not require end ferrules whereas SRAM brake calipers do require ferrules.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just recalled that I got my answer to this question years ago when changing out from a FSA caliper to a Shimano caliper. NO FERRULES.

Please forgive the age-related redundancy!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What caused my confusion is that the cables came out of the Tektro calipers with ferrules on. Caused me the same confusion 4 years ago when pulling them out of FSA calipers with ferrules also.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,416 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts