Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't speak to the specific question of the Shimano pads or to what they might do to your rims, but...

1. While called "ceramic" none of the current crop of rims are ceramic. They (except HED) are some variant of plasma electrolytic oxidation coated. Can't compare them to old Mavic ceramic
2. Initial pad wear can be dramatic but it will decline exponentially once the rims and pads are bedded together. You'll wear pads more often than "never" but the current rate isn't the long term rate from what we saw - I've got a set of pads with 1500 miles and tons of life left.
3. Unless your screen name is a tremendous head fake and I've got you confused with someone else, we sent you two complete sets of pads. Just use those.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was hoping that was the case about the pads and track bedding in. I take it, I don't really want to seriously "clean" the track then - just wipe it down to get the dust off or light soap and water not scrubbing. Otherwise, I'll go back to chewing pads up until it beds in again. Is that correct?
Soap and water with a softish brush is great. In my experience you have to really get after things to require a re-bed. Like when I take sandpaper to disc rotors, they need a re-bed. But a brush and soapy water is great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts