Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any functional difference between 105, Ultegra and DA? Or is it just weight/finish? Thanks.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
I notice a difference.

105 does not have the nice toe adjustment like DA and Ultegra.
You have to bend it the oldschool way.There might be a difference in brake pad material.
The more expensive stuff is softer and brakes better, would wear faster too.
They nicer stuff also SEEMS to be smoother and modulate better (to me) .

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
They get stiffer as you go higher. That translates into better feel.

Fer all those crazies who say D-A / Record brakes aren't as nice as zero g's or something ... there's a reason that, as components evolve, the big companies have ADDED material to their front caliper.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Argentius said:
They get stiffer as you go higher. That translates into better feel.

Fer all those crazies who say D-A / Record brakes aren't as nice as zero g's or something ... there's a reason that, as components evolve, the big companies have ADDED material to their front caliper.
I have to agree. I have both the new D/A and OG on separate bikes - I certainly love the lightness and looks of the latter, but if I had to stop hard to avoid a semi at the bottom of a hill I'd prefer the D/A. Best stopping power of anything I've tried.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
the bull said:
105 does not have the nice toe adjustment like DA and Ultegra.
You have to bend it the oldschool way.There might be a difference in brake pad material.
The more expensive stuff is softer and brakes better, would wear faster too.
They nicer stuff also SEEMS to be smoother and modulate better (to me) .
The new 105 stuff has the toe-in adjustment, and the compound of the pads has been improved (thank god). Overall I'd say the 105s are a prety good choice. I got the old ones, but I got some cheapo adjustable pad holders and Koolstop pads for them and modulation and stopping power are just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts