Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a campy wheelset, but I have a shimano setup. Can anyone tell me if the cassette will fit onto the campy hub? Also, will it shift correctly? Also, will it chew up the hub at all? I am using this with a triathlon setup, so there will not be lots of shifting going on.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
NO & NO...

There is absolutely no compatibility in the spline patterns of shimano and campy cassettes. Buy a shimano wheel. They are many more out there.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
That's not true. You can get a Marchesio cassette. (Look it up on google.) They're great cassettes, last as long as campy, the cassette of choice of many in Italy.

If you are getting campy "wheels" like Neutrons, Protons, etc. Then you can get them in the shimano splined freehub as well.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
good answer, wrong question...

The poster asked if a shimano cassette will fit on a campy wheel. I assumed he meant a wheel with campy cassette body, not just a wheel made by campy, since they do offer a shimano cassette body. Then it would be generally be thought of as a wheel for a shimano equipped bike and the question would be kind of dumb.

http://www.bikyle.com/CassettesRd.asp#Marchisio

The MARCHISIO cassette looks promising, but I’m skeptical of the shifting quality, since today’s cogs are ramped to work with a specific cog on either side. It seems like this would not be possible with “universal” cogs that could be placed in any order. Have you ever tried this cassette?

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
No but....yes!

There is no way you are going to fit a Shimano cassette on a Campy splined freehub body!
Well, not unless you are really handy with the Dremel tool!
But:
If you had to run a Campy hub you could!
You can put a 9 speed campy cassette on a campy hub and it will work with a shimano 9 speed system.
But:
I would look around for a Shimano splined freehub on the campy wheel you want.
Then you can use all shimano hg system stuff for great shifting!
That would be the best way to go.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
C-40 said:
The poster asked if a shimano cassette will fit on a campy wheel. I assumed he meant a wheel with campy cassette body, not just a wheel made by campy, since they do offer a shimano cassette body. Then it would be generally be thought of as a wheel for a shimano equipped bike and the question would be kind of dumb.

http://www.bikyle.com/CassettesRd.asp#Marchisio

The MARCHISIO cassette looks promising, but I’m skeptical of the shifting quality, since today’s cogs are ramped to work with a specific cog on either side. It seems like this would not be possible with “universal” cogs that could be placed in any order. Have you ever tried this cassette?
Yes, we have Marchisio cassettes on my wife's training wheels. They shift fine, quiet, long lasting.

Great cassettes, in fact, actually used by Colnago and Selle Italia teams in the Peleton....they don't use campy. (According to their mechanics.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts