Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone
Just wondering is it possible to make a 10sp mixed cassette consisting of shimano cogs and campy spacers?cant recall their differences.
Has anyone tried it;
I use a 10sp campy chorus setup on a shimano cassette and was wondering if i do really need to change the hub to campy also.shifting works fine but some rattling here and there if i got up to the big ring.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
Just buy a conversion cassette. There are quite a few brands available, Wheels Manufacturing, Ambrosio, American Classic...

I have a few stashed away for my travel bike, they all work just fine.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Hi to everyone
Just wondering is it possible to make a 10sp mixed cassette consisting of shimano cogs and campy spacers?cant recall their differences.
Has anyone tried it;
I use a 10sp campy chorus setup on a shimano cassette and was wondering if i do really need to change the hub to campy also.shifting works fine but some rattling here and there if i got up to the big ring.
Are you able to get these spacers? Aren't both brands of cassettes a mix of pinned together and separate cogs? There are no spacers for the pinned together sets of cogs, right?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
As Kerry says, you cannot play with the paired cogs if your cassette has them.

And as the Dr says, the conversion cassettes work fine. I used American Classic for a long time, but I think they are no more. There are others though.

In theory, if you could replace all the spacers with Campy, the spacing situation would improve, but would still not be perfect as there is also a difference in cog thickness (Campy being fatter).

This table from Sheldon explains Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Sp - Ss

So the only way to do it right would be with custom spacers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have only used the 8 speed kit (now sadly no longer available) but the Wheels Manufacturing Shift Kits uses the Shimano freehub body and cogs when switching to a Campy drivetrain system. The spacers fit the old cogs to the new drivetrain. Works great.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Hi to everyone
Has anyone tried it;
So what's the problem? I'm not sure what you mean by rattle but what happens once you are actually in a gear has nothing to do with spacers.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Probably not germane to the tread at all, but my 8 speed Shimano cassette works perfectly (or as perfectly as I can perceive) with my Campy indexed 8 speed shifters. I was surprised that I didn't have to use the JTek adapter I'd spent weeks trying to find.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Are you able to get these spacers? Aren't both brands of cassettes a mix of pinned together and separate cogs? There are no spacers for the pinned together sets of cogs, right?
Depends on the year and level.

Veloce and Centaur 10s cassettes were all individual cogs and spacers circa 2006-08 IIRC. Maybe more, I'm just remembering from tearing them apart to clean my 10s gear from back then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive done it in the past you can actually dismantle any cheap shimano riveted cassete by just tapping the pins holding it together with smtng pointy and a hammer.You then have cogs and spacers to do whatever you like.
Sometimes they use allen screws.be careful.

As Kerry says, you cannot play with the paired cogs if your cassette has them.

And as the Dr says, the conversion cassettes work fine. I used American Classic for a long time, but I think they are no more. There are others though.

In theory, if you could replace all the spacers with Campy, the spacing situation would improve, but would still not be perfect as there is also a difference in cog thickness (Campy being fatter).

This table from Sheldon explains Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Sp - Ss

So the only way to do it right would be with custom spacers.
Ive already have a campy cassete thats not riveted together only free spacers and cogs.buying a conversion cassette is out of question as for im on a budget and prefer to use parts i own already.
as a matter of fact aint cheap at all.they do cost more than a campy and more than a spare freewheel to swap my shimano one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just for the record ive tried it and it doesnt gives better results than the current setup -chorus 10sp gruppo on tiagra cassete-.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts