Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the new Shimano 10sp Compact Crank with the bottom bracket.
Going to replace my Ultegra double crank with the compact to gain some more on the low gears for those hills. Currently have a 12-27 rear cog on my bike in the rear.

Any recent reviews or personal experiences with this new crank.
In the past I know people have complained about the finish on the crank itself.
Looking for more of a performance view, aka personal ride experiences with the crank.

Assuming I will not have to replace my Ultegra front derailleur, but possibly will have to replace my 9sp chain with a 10sp.

Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I tried it on a friend's bike and shifing was flawless even standing on the pedals riding uphill.
Highly recommended.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Have one. The crank finish is smooth and well polished. The rings must have been designed after a bad sakae break - an amateurish and hard to keep clean dark anodised thing. They probably had a few more before designing the left hand crank - it's pretty lumpy with those two securing bolts opposite the crank arm itself.

Shifting - 10 sp Ultegra - is fast and flawless. Set-up was easy - follow the instructions and it worked. I bought the two 'special' tools and fitted it myself. Not sure how it would go with a 9 speed chain - if you're keeping your 9 speed back end, you'll need to run a 9sp chain - but can't see why not, it's not that much different looking in spacing from my "old" 9 speed. As that runs a Salsa inner and TA outer, and shifts fine, I suspect the ring thing is over-done between 9 & 10...

In all, it delivers but I still can't help thinking that Shimano should shoot their stylist.

Hope that helps

D

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I'm old and no longer aerobically fit, but fortunately I'm comfortable with bringing more force onto the pedals at very low cadences. Because of that, my first impression of the R 700 compact was that it was too "skinny" for flatland travel. Once I dropped my habit of warming up in the small ring, I felt more at home with the compact.

I bought and installed the compact and a 12 x 27 cassette for an uphill time trial coming up in May. I've ridden steep hills in the 34 x 27 and am confident that the compact will work perfectly well for me during the event. But I'll probably put my Ultegra 53/39 back on later this summer. My feeling so far: great for lower gears on steep hills - no thanks otherwise. If you're fit enough to spin at decent cadences, you might feel more positive about the compact. (If you're gonig to race on a compact, you will need to spin at decent cadences :D)

Mechanically, I've no issues at all. Shifts well with the Ultegra FD; chain surprisingly clears the large chainwheel (on a 58 cm Madone) even in a 34 x 12.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts