Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own it yet? Its kind of more than I wanted to pay for a crankset. But eh.

Hows shifting and such?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had it for about a month paired with a 7800 FD and 12/27 cassette. Works great. Hasn't thrown the chain once on a downshift. Upshifting is comparable to the DA 53/39 crank that it replaced.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Put mine on the new bike last week, but haven't done more than cruising up and down the street. Snip to fit - after the 'old' Shimano 9 speed BBs - shifts fine with a 10 sp Ultegra double front derailleur, as advertised. Using it with a 12-25 Ultegra cassette.

About $180 from Totalcycling in Northern Ireland, shipping was IRO $8.00 and it came pretty much as fast as anything I've mail ordered from the US, for the instant gratification lobby.

Go to:

http://www.totalcycling.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1028/groupID/2/categoryID/40/v/

D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Works as advertised. Got about 100 mi on mine, shifts much better than my previous compact (FSA Energy, which I had no complaints with). Using with std Ultegra FD (also used w/ FSA compact), no dropped chains and much better shifts to the big ring than before. Not a huge fan of the look, but can't argue with the functionality. As Derek said, very easy to install/remove, something I considered as my bike is coupled for travel.

SPG

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Keeper.

I've got one week of daily riding on the Shimano compact with a 12-27 rear and I agree - works as advertised. I replaced a 53/39 Ultegra 10 crankset.

So far, I haven't bothered to move the front derailleur down. Shifting is good anyway, even with the bottom edge of the cage a gaping 8 mm above the teeth of the 50 ring. Never threw a downshift off, and the upshifts are quick if I soft-pedal, not so quick but reliable under some power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ship with BB?

Dereck said:
Put mine on the new bike last week, but haven't done more than cruising up and down the street. Snip to fit - after the 'old' Shimano 9 speed BBs - shifts fine with a 10 sp Ultegra double front derailleur, as advertised. Using it with a 12-25 Ultegra cassette.

About $180 from Totalcycling in Northern Ireland, shipping was IRO $8.00 and it came pretty much as fast as anything I've mail ordered from the US, for the instant gratification lobby.

Go to:

http://www.totalcycling.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1028/groupID/2/categoryID/40/v/

D
Did TotalCycling ship this crank with the BB?

·
Registered
704 Posts
desmondj said:
Did TotalCycling ship this crank with the BB?
BB is separate, as per US shops. I ordered the two, arrived packed in Shimano boxes, within one hefty cardboard shipping box.

Good to see that the BB is a separate item - would bet the PacRim business model would prefer you to buy new cranks and BB every time, not just go around replacing a BB

Still cruising the patch on her. Despite having started on this bike in last July, I have carefully avoided getting the correct bars yet :rolleyes:

However, indications are these rings with standard Ultegra double fr der shifts as fast as the 'old' 39/53 set up. The levers were pretty notchy at first, especially the front, but they have loosened up nicely after an hour or so.

The chainring finish still looks more like amateur night in the marketting dept than a fully polished finish would have, but since when have the likes of Shimano bothered listening to customers?

D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just arrived

Dereck said:
BB is separate, as per US shops. I ordered the two, arrived packed in Shimano boxes, within one hefty cardboard shipping box.

Good to see that the BB is a separate item - would bet the PacRim business model would prefer you to buy new cranks and BB every time, not just go around replacing a BB

Still cruising the patch on her. Despite having started on this bike in last July, I have carefully avoided getting the correct bars yet :rolleyes:

However, indications are these rings with standard Ultegra double fr der shifts as fast as the 'old' 39/53 set up. The levers were pretty notchy at first, especially the front, but they have loosened up nicely after an hour or so.

The chainring finish still looks more like amateur night in the marketting dept than a fully polished finish would have, but since when have the likes of Shimano bothered listening to customers?

D
My crank arrived this morning. Not bad turnaround time on the order, four days from Europe to Texas. My BB will arrive on Wednesday, so I should be able to test it out on a long ride next weekend. Thanks for the tip! Total cyclings price with shipping is cheaper that any US site I've found!

Desmond

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder how this crank would work with Shimano Ultegra 9 spd components (shifters, RD, FD and chain)? Was at my LBS last week checking into this and the Shimano Sales rep just happened to be there. He said the it "should" work with 9 spd although I may have to go to a 10 spd chain. Are any of you using 9 spd with this new crank? If so, how's it working?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts