Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have details on the cross-specific group that Shimano will (may?) introduce this May?

I've heard this from 2 different sources now..

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
They already make a great cross group. Only tough part is finding their old 9 speed shifters and XTR canti brakes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
...or mtn offerings?

I'm running M952 XTR on my Crosshairs. :dunno

M

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
I think the 9 speed stuff is a lot more reliable, especially in crappy condition...which is prob why all mtb is still 9 speed. Lasts longer. Shifters are more durable.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
zoikz said:
I think the 9 speed stuff is a lot more reliable, especially in crappy condition...which is prob why all mtb is still 9 speed. Lasts longer. Shifters are more durable.
I've found that all of these concerns have proven to actually be the opposite regarding 10 speed- it's more reliable, lasts longer and the shifters are more durable than 9. Furthermore, it actually works at least as well as 9 in the mud.

I've raced cross with both extensively, and dealt with both in repair and race tech environments. I wouldn't want to go back to shimano 9.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
i don't even worry about it as my cross bike is 8 speed friction shifting, not so much by choice, but by the fact that those were the only parts I had lying around

a "cross" specific groupo seems a little silly to me, what I would be interested to see is someone running Campy 11 speed on a cross bike

·
elmar
265 Posts
it could be a sti fitting to linear pull brakes
but the new dura-ace fit already better to linear pul brakes than the old ones.
it could be a sti for hydraulikdiscbrakes
it could be wih a perfekt cx-brake .

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't recall using the term 'inadequate', tho if you're asking 'What could be improved in Shimano's, Campagnolo's, or SRAM's current offerings?', here are a few ideas:

Durable BB, ie less susceptible to water contamination.

Lightweight canti brakeset w/adjustability (similar to TRP EuroX Mag). Or just relabel XT brakes, tho that's a bit too safe.

More durable hub seals, for people who aren't subtle w/ pressure washers.

More than the 100 46-tooth chainrings Shimano made last year. Crank and BB for less than $200.

Rebuildable levers, or at least have a few smaller replaceable components.

Choice of carbon or aluminium levers.. Aluminium lasts longer, tho carbon is lighter and doesn't suck the heat out of your fingers.

Disc hubs!

Brake-cable hangers, integrated into PRO stems.

Latte (bar-top) levers.

Cable ferrules with rubber wipers to keep out contaminants, or just sealed cables.

Headsets. Good ones.

m_s said:
Aside from chainrings, what is inadequate about their current road offerings?

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
dead flag blues said:
I don't recall using the term 'inadequate', tho if you're asking 'What could be improved in Shimano's, Campagnolo's, or SRAM's current offerings?', here are a few ideas:

Durable BB, ie less susceptible to water contamination.
I suppose, though I imagine this would be developed first for the mountain line, and that is alarger market. Though a durable bb would be good for road as well.

Lightweight canti brakeset w/adjustability (similar to TRP EuroX Mag). Or just relabel XT brakes, tho that's a bit too safe.
Sure.

More durable hub seals, for people who aren't subtle w/ pressure washers.
Yeah. I do like sealed bearings, but Shimano seems pretty invested int he cup and cone thing. Who knows?

More than the 100 46-tooth chainrings Shimano made last year. Crank and BB for less than $200.
You mean 100 BCD? What's wrong with 110 or even 130?
Rebuildable levers, or at least have a few smaller replaceable components.
Yeah. but then, also good for road.

Choice of carbon or aluminium levers.. Aluminium lasts longer, tho carbon is lighter and doesn't suck the heat out of your fingers.
I dunno. Not that important to me I guess.

Disc hubs!
They have all the mountain ones. Manufacturers making disc frames with 130 spacing is silly, not Shimano's fault IMO.
Brake-cable hangers, integrated into PRO stems.
Hm. I dig my fork mounted hanger. Seems like people are more likely to have problems with shuddering and stuff the higher the hanger is. But maybe not.
Latte (bar-top) levers.
I guess. I'm fine with the tektro ones so shimano wouldn't have anything there to excite me. Heck though, I don't even use them anymore.
Cable ferrules with rubber wipers to keep out contaminants, or just sealed cables.
I don't think this is exciting enough for a marketing release :p
Headsets. Good ones.
I haven't used a shimano headset since 600 so I wouldn't know if their current ones suck :)

So yeah, I guess most of those feel pretty minor to me, and are improvements that should be used in current road groups anyways. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Most of these are availale from someone else -- I'm not sure there is much motivation for Shimano to compete with TRP/Tektro and Jagwire.

The new DA has CF levers, making them available from all of the big three.

Rebuildable levers from Shimano seems unlikely. I imagine it would involve a near-groud-up redesign of their shift mechanism.

Redeveloping products to make them pressure washer safe seems like a dubious endeavor, especially since the other markets (which dwarf CX) will complain about increased seal drag. Developing CX specific hubsets and BBs seems like a long shot. Besides, as the saying goes, there are seldom good technological solutions for behavioral problems.

I have four bikes, 1 road, 1 CX and 2 MTBs that have been on the same Octalink cartridge BBs for more than 5 years. Part of the reason for this is that cranks and BBs skyrocketed in price after Octalink was phased out, so I am with you there, but I would be even happier if they contiue to produce Octalink BBs (not that I need them very often).

IIRC, Shimano does not make threadless headsets because of a patent disupute with Cane Creek. Whatever the case, the market is saturated with good options at every price point.

I guess anything is possible, but I can't help but note that Shimano blew off the SS MTB market and the urban FG market.

·
278 Posts
In his tour to around the US to preach to shops and builders the Shimano sales dude and OE rep for small builders told us that a CX D/A group was in the works. He wouldn't clarify anything but he hinted the New D/A levers pull enough cable to work with V's, that the 46t D/A chainring will actually be available this year, a D/A shadow type derailleur might be in the works and a couple other minor things. Nothing groundbreaking.

·
Integrated Cyclist
95 Posts
zoikz said:
Actually SRAM is introducing a 10 speed XX shifter soon for mountain bike. It's targeted at 2x10 setups as pros typically are ditching the third ring anyway.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Durable BB, ie less susceptible to water contamination. -- SRAM GXP has a decent seal and is cheap and easy to replace

Lightweight canti brakeset w/adjustability (similar to TRP EuroX Mag). Or just relabel XT brakes, tho that's a bit too safe. -- Avid Shorty Ultimate, coming soon, similar weight to Paul's

More durable hub seals, for people who aren't subtle w/ pressure washers. -- lots of choices

More than the 100 46-tooth chainrings Shimano made last year. Crank and BB for less than $200. -- Truvativ Elita CX, $120, plenty in the budget for your perfect rings

Rebuildable levers, or at least have a few smaller replaceable components. -- SRAM Rival

Disc hubs! -- Plenty of choices

Brake-cable hangers, integrated into PRO stems. -- integrated would prevent flipping for a customized fit

Latte (bar-top) levers. -- Lots of choices

Cable ferrules with rubber wipers to keep out contaminants, or just sealed cables. -- Lots of choices

Headsets. Good ones. -- Lots of choices

1 - 20 of 20 Posts