Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Shimano CUES groupset

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Jwiffle 
#1 ·
What do you all think of this? Combines 3 groupsets and will eventually eliminate a fourth. Personally, I ride 105 or XT and higher, so this won't affect me. But from an industry approach, this makes sense and will be a blessing for bike shops. Greatly simplifies compatibility (and inventory) across 9, 10 and 11 speeds. Focuses on 1x, has 2x, but no more triples. You'll be able to easily make an MTB setup with drop bars. Linkglide shifting allows compability with eBikes.

Shimano Cues kills off Alivio, Acera and Altus, with Tiagra to be phased out

New Shimano CUES 9, 10, and 11-speed drivetrains are Cross-compatible

I think it's a step in the right direction.

#15 ·
Better start hoarding some new/old stock so it won't matter!

#6 ·
I like close ratios and I know how to shift so 1X isn't really appealing to me. I am surprised though by the number of riders with poor shifting discipline and there are plenty of people not phased by ratio jumps that bother me and the range is there so 1X is absolutely a lucrative pursuit for manufacturers. Commonizing pull ratios and spacing I like the idea of. I guess the future of my touring bicycle drive trains will tell so I'll see where I find myself when I get there but it's hard to imagine not having a triple on my touring bike.

#11 ·
But everything is interchangeable. Every shifter will work with 9, 10 or 11 speed, between analog and eBikes, you can mix mtb components with road shifters. Chances are much better that a shop has the needed inventory in stock to get someone riding.

#12 ·
Well, that would be for 'new' components. The components on "your" bike still may or may not be compatible.
I agree that there is no reason for everything to be different, but that decision was made years ago, and for some reason they are changing it all again. Probably to sell more stuff.

#16 ·
OK, My Santa Cruz triple has a 22-42 chainrings, 11-36 cassette. high:11/42=3.3 low:36/22=.611 range: 3.8/.61=624% range. Match that with a double or X1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One would think a seasoned pro mech would be able to figure these thing's out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BonusPoints: ' & !!!!!!

#17 ·
I think the whole concept of CUES being 9-10-11 speed compatible between mountain and road components is very, very smart. No doubt the parts in this system will be heavier than 12-speed road component offerings, but I also suspect that they will be very durable as well. I certainly hope that all the road components come to fruition. Just look at what the pros raced on in recent decades past--this new CUES line should be at least as good as top-tier parts from 20-30 years ago, and a lot of parts from that era were VERY durable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.