Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for parts to built a bike and came across someone mentioning that the Shimano ultegra 6500 bottom bracket is stronger than the dura ace 7700 bb and should be the choice of bb to use together with the 7701 crankset. Is there any truth to this, or the person is just trying to sell his 6500 bb?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had 2 of each in the last 5 years. The Dura-Ace BB is much more finicky to install correctly, but is at least as stiff as the Ultegra unit and certainly lighter. The outer roller bearings are separated from the environment by a combination of grease/slip on plastic seal, and in my limited experience, the BB should be taken apart, cleaned and re-greased periodically if you ride in wet/gritty conditions. The Ultegra BB has sealed cartridge bearings and does not require this degree of maintenance, but I've managed to destroy 2 of them in the last 3 years. I've gone back to the Dura-Ace BB and overhaul it every 4-6 months, depending on riding conditions. If you ride in wet conditions and don't want to bother with this, go with the Ultegra.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used a 7700 BB for several seasons then after overhauling it one time, I couldn't re-install it without it binding. I guess I could've kept trying but I ended up just throwing a 6500 BB in there and have been using those ever since.

I'm tempted to give the 7700 another chance but I would have to have a lot of free time to see if I could get it to work again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you live to work on your bikes, then get the DA. Maintenance and adjustment are time consuming but not particularly difficult. If you have a busy schedule (like most of us), get the Ultegra. You may need to remove then clean/grease the threads once a year or so to make sure the unit does not freeze in the frame. The weight difference is insignificant and the Ultegra should be a few bucks less.

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
kdub said:
I was searching for parts to built a bike and came across someone mentioning that the Shimano ultegra 6500 bottom bracket is stronger than the dura ace 7700 bb and should be the choice of bb to use together with the 7701 crankset. Is there any truth to this, or the person is just trying to sell his 6500 bb?
Funny how people complain about DA parts not being rebuildable, then when they come out with parts that are rebuildable people complain that they have to be rebuilt....

I ran my DA 7700 BB for about 2 years before the first rebuild. That rebuild was overdue at that time, because there had been a good deal of wet-weather riding in there. Cleaning and repacking should be done at least annually.

It's not hard to rebuild, install or adjust if you have any degree of mechanical skill. Just don't lose all the little bearings.

OH - and you need a special $7 tool to get the lockring on that only works on that BB and the corresponding XTR BB.

·
Registered
96 Posts
agree with wasserbox..the 7700 is great bottom bracket but it takes times to set up.i used one for over 2 years,over 15k and it is still smooth as can be.no soaking rides on it though.someone mentioned the only thing the seals keep out is sunlight.lol.if your not into maintenence and ride alot in the wet,stick with the 6500.YMMV

·
Registered
714 Posts
the 7700 bb is to be avoided

for real world practical road use. it does have thrust bearings on the sides, nicely adjustable to be smoooth when new, but no effective envronmental seal whatsoever.
mine lasted <1 season, even though pro overhauled twice. one rain ride will do 'em in.

the ultegra or 105 are install and forget in comparison...

kdub said:

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't understand all the fuss about the DA bottom bracket. I put over 16,000 miles on mine and only had it out once for servicing. I probably didn't even need to do that but I had been hearing all of the complaints and thought it might be time to clean and lube the bb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.