Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
hey,

Here's the link on the weight breakdowns. The new 7900 is only about 130 grams lighter than the 7800 (only talking about the drive terrain, not the wheels). I was thinking about switching over to the new campy record which is about 265 grams lighter than the 7800. Plus the new record has ceramic bearings in its new gruppo. I know there is alot of debate on the benefits of ceramic bearings but installed a set in my Dura Ace crank and love them to death. It's super smooth, but this is my personal opinion and i'm not a professional. Additionally, I am just not impressed with the overall all wieght savings on the new gruppo's for record and dura-ace. Wish it was more! I do think the new dura ace is alot cooler looking than the campy :)

Hope this helps,

Links:
http://www.velonews.com/article/76923/shimano-unveils-the-new-dura-ace-7900

heres is the first prelim test:

http://www.velonews.com/article/78933

· Registered
2,392 Posts
cavinsoo said:
Does anyone know the total weight of Shimano Dura Ace 7700 vs 7800 vs 7900?

I can't the info online.
I've owned Chorus and have used Record on various bikes from the old C-Record in the
80's to the Current record group. I tried Dura Ace once and I was sold. Shimano has me hooked and I never looked back. SRAM seems to be the thing everyone wants but I thought that Shimano and Campy shifted better IMHO. V Boy is right about the difference between the 7800 and 7900 but isn't 7700 a 9 speed system?

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I thought the lever throw distance (especially for the front) on Rival/Force was a little long, but its great with Red (and should be for 09 Rival/Force). SRAM has comfy hoods (even better than Campy) and is much better at shifting in the drops (unless you're some sort of contortionist with your thumb). I'm not a big fan of the brake lever moving side to side, so even though I think Shimano's light shifting might be appealing to some, I'd rather ride SRAM parts. Add to that, it's cheaper (than 09 DA or Record), lighter and readily available...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.