Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I would like to build up another bike and am thinking along the lines of 8 speed DA 7400 series components. I am not familiar with this era of DA components and have some questions.

What would be an appropriate group for a 1990 Miyata Team? I find that there are 7400, 7401, 7402, 7403 and 7410. What is the difference between all of these? Which should I focus on that would be of the right age +/-. I want to use downtube shifters. Any particular parts to look for or to avoid?

Thanks for any advice,

James

Edit: I just found the Miyata catalog from 1990 and it shows the DA components but doesn't list exactly what they are other than 8 speed. Any ideas? This bike is really going to compliment my '82 Miyata Team and Pro!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I think your overall troubles in rebuilding isn't what group series you should use, it's more if you'll be able to find the parts.

8spd stuff is really hard to find now. I believe a friend of mine fought to the death for used 8spd downtube DA shifters... let's just say it cost as much as Ultegra STI6600 ~150 bucks.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Quattro_Assi_07 said:
Hello,

I would like to build up another bike and am thinking along the lines of 8 speed DA 7400 series components. I am not familiar with this era of DA components and have some questions.

What would be an appropriate group for a 1990 Miyata Team? I find that there are 7400, 7401, 7402, 7403 and 7410. What is the difference between all of these? Which should I focus on that would be of the right age +/-. I want to use downtube shifters. Any particular parts to look for or to avoid?

Thanks for any advice,

James

Edit: I just found the Miyata catalog from 1990 and it shows the DA components but doesn't list exactly what they are other than 8 speed. Any ideas? This bike is really going to compliment my '82 Miyata Team and Pro!
The Dura Ace 74xx numbering system is weird...There never was a complete 7401, 7402,7403, or 7410 group....These numbers were limited to an upgraded part only..That could be just a brake

If the frame is is a 1990, you should be using an 8 speed but stay away from 7410 series parts..(cranks, BB, headset and front derailleur).they are too new...

Anything earlier the 7410 will work and look fine....

I did a Dura Ace timeline in this forum that I updated last year....I'll try to find it or you can do a search

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
The Dura Ace 74xx numbering system is weird...There never was a complete 7401, 7402,7403, or 7410 group....These numbers were limited to an upgraded part only..That could be just a brake

If the frame is is a 1990. You should be using an 8 speed but stay away from 7410 series parts..(cranks, BB, headset and front derailleur).they are too new...

Anything earlier the 7410 will work and look fine....

I did a Dura Ace timeline in this forum that I updated last year....I'll try to find it or you can do a search

here is the timeline....again to be period correct, stay away from the 7410 parts

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1895129#poststop

I started this with the 7400 series even though there were the original DA group starting in 1973 and the DA AX and EX series prior to the 7400 series...If someone has part numbers for these, please feel free to add them

Dura Ace timeline

7400 6 speed SIS (198?)
Uniglide 6 speed cassettes
BR-7400 single pivot brakes (non SLR)
HP 7400- ball bearing headset
HB-7400 last non-cassette hub
MF-7400 last freewheel
FC-7400 standard profile crankarms
RD-7400 (6spd)
ST-7400 (8spd STI used with RD-7402 below) works on 7spd also
PD-7400 aero pedal with clips (still used on track a lot!)
SP-7400 A and B- A= fluted B= aero
BL-7400 - non aero brake levers

7401 FH - 1st cassette hub for 7400 series.(126mm)
SL-7401 7 speed SIS downtube
PD-7401 Look compatible pedals (Used by Lance to win TdF)
7 spd Uniglide cassette
RD-7401 (7spd)
BL-7401- aero brake levers- no return spring

7402 Superglide chainrings (A/B types)
RD-7402 (8spd)
BR-7402 SLR Single Pivot brakes
HB-7402 8spd cassette hub (130mm) Uniglide and Hyperglide
BL-7402 Aero brake levers- return spring
SL-7402 SIS 8 speed downtube shifters

7403 BR-7403 SLR Dual Pivot Brakes
HB-7403 8spd cassette hub- Hyperglide only

7410 SP - Easton seatpost
HP 7410 - Cartridge bearing headset
PD - SPD pedals
BB 7410 - Cartridge BB 103mm spindle
FC 7410- Low profile crankarms w/ SuperGlide chainrings (the best looking crankset ever made by Shimano)
FD 7410 - ft derailleur

7600 Track
7600 -high flange hubs -Still made today for Keirin racing
1/8" or 3/32" chainrings and cogs available
7600 Cranks arms- Still made today for Keirin racing
7600 headset- Blueish colored cups

7700 ST-7700 9spd STI (1997)
BB-7700 splined BB with needle bearings
FC-7700 hollow low profice splined crankarms
PD-7700 SPD-R pedals (No longer used by George Hincapie!)
FH-7700 Ti cassette body, Al QR levers
CS-7700 9spd cassette, Ti large cogs
HB-7700 Al axle, Al QR levers
BR-7700 Dual Pivot SLR, smaller & lighter than 7403
CN-7700 Narrow chain with annoying master pins

25 Anniversary Group 1999 ( 7700 series parts highly polished and some ti bolts)

7710 Track group - still produced today
FC 7710 splined crankarms
HB 7710 low flange hubs
BB 7710 sealed version of splined BB

For the sake of this retro discussion, we'll stop at 7700 series

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CleavesF said:
I think your overall troubles in rebuilding isn't what group series you should use, it's more if you'll be able to find the parts.

8spd stuff is really hard to find now. I believe a friend of mine fought to the death for used 8spd downtube DA shifters... let's just say it cost as much as Ultegra STI6600 ~150 bucks.
I am not too worried about finding the parts. I just need to know what would be correct. I managed to find the parts to build up my two Miyatas with 6 speed DA AX and EX groups.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave Hickey said:
here is the timeline....again to be period correct, stay away from the 7410 parts

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1895129#poststop

I started this with the 7400 series even though there were the original DA group starting in 1973 and the DA AX and EX series prior to the 7400 series...If someone has part numbers for these, please feel free to add them

Dura Ace timeline

For the sake of this retro discussion, we'll stop at 7700 series
Hey Dave, thanks a bunch. I'll definitely save that info on my computer. By the way, I just recently bought this Pinarello.

It has 8 speed DA for the most part. I guess I can always swap those DA parts onto my Miyata, right? I have not yet actually seen them but they seem to be the right age. I plan on building that Pinarello up with C-Record, so if I went this route, I'll save a bunch of time, effort and money. This is dependant on those parts being the right ones that I need. Can you tell by looking at the pictures if they are? There was concern that the shifters are particularly difficult to find.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
I've never had a problem locating 8 speed DT shifters...i see them for sale all the time for about $50-60...The 8 speed STI shifters go for big bucks....The irony is that 9 speed 7700 shifters were designed by Shimano to shift 8 speed when connected to a 7400 series derailleur. I guess most people don't realize that or they wouldn't be spending huge dollars on 7400 shifters

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I've never had a problem locating 8 speed DT shifters...i see them for sale all the time for about $50-60...The 8 speed STI shifters go for big bucks....The irony is that 9 speed 7700 shifters were designed by Shimano to shift 8 speed when connected to a 7400 series derailleur. I guess most people don't realize that or they wouldn't be spending huge dollars on 7400 shifters
What about the components in the pictures. Do they look like 7400 series?

How about those shifters? I definitely want to stick with downtube shifters on this build.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zacolnago said:
Wow!, that is a stunning bike.
Thanks, I think so too. It is my first classic Italian bike and probably will be my last. I hope the ride quality is as nice as it looks.

Best,

James

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's starting to grow on me...

bushpig said:
Digging the black chrome.
I bought it originally to strip and polish the chrome. I haven't yet seen it in the flesh and hope it is as nicely preserved as in the pictures. I would like to keep it with that black chrome finish if at all possible.

Best,

James

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just picked up a used ~1990 Bianchi Columbus SLX tubed roadie with a mix of Camp/Shim parts on it.

The hubs are old DA 8 spd. The rear is the original cassette style where the last cog is the lockring. Unfortunately it's a 12-21 and I live in the Rockies. I put a 34/46 cobbled crank on the front for now to get a decent climbing gear, but I'd really like to find a different cassette to go on there.

Or I might just keep an eye out for a whole new rear wheel. Shame, cuz those DA hubs are nice. It's got DA front and rear der's too...Shimano 600 DT shifters.

The bike rides really nice, but it's had a hard life. Only paid $200 for it though...

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Cervelo-er said:
I just picked up a used ~1990 Bianchi Columbus SLX tubed roadie with a mix of Camp/Shim parts on it.

The hubs are old DA 8 spd. The rear is the original cassette style where the last cog is the lockring. Unfortunately it's a 12-21 and I live in the Rockies. I put a 34/46 cobbled crank on the front for now to get a decent climbing gear, but I'd really like to find a different cassette to go on there.

Or I might just keep an eye out for a whole new rear wheel. Shame, cuz those DA hubs are nice. It's got DA front and rear der's too...Shimano 600 DT shifters.

The bike rides really nice, but it's had a hard life. Only paid $200 for it though...

Double check that it's not threaded inside the freehub body too for a lockring...In the crossover years from Uniglide to Hyperglide, Shimano had a DA hub that would work with both. It was right around that time period

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Double check that it's not threaded inside the freehub body too for a lockring...In the crossover years from Uniglide to Hyperglide, Shimano had a DA hub that would work with both. It was right around that time period
but the climbing gears are hard to find......

b21

·
Registered
2 Posts
The irony is that 9 speed 7700 shifters were designed by Shimano to shift 8 speed when connected to a 7400 series derailleur. I guess most people don't realize that or they wouldn't be spending huge dollars on 7400 shifters
Bumping an old thread.

I've got a DA 8-speed equipped Merlin circa 1991 with down-tube shifters. I'd very much like to put STI shifters on it (I have a circa 1983 Guerciotti in case I get nostalgic for down-tube shifters, or friction shifters, or steel frames...). This is the only place that I have read that 7700 shifters are compatible with a 7400 rear derailleur. It would be great to have more options than just the ST-7400 when shopping for old, used shifters. Can you explain how this works? This isn't mentioned in "the bible" (sheldonbrown.com).

Thanks!

-- Larry B.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts