Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got my Fuso working as a nine speed with Campy Ergo brifters, Shimano 10 speed cassette, Shimano 7400 (six speed) derailleur and a Shiftmate. All is good except the 7400 can't quite reach the biggest cog, giving me a nine speed in effect. I really need that last gear, especially till I lose a little more weight. My lbs owner tells me that a 7402 (eight speed) rear derailleur should get me the extra throw I need to get into the low gear...it will grind away with the 7400 so it doesn' need much. And the 7402 looks almost identical to the 7400 and that would make ME happy. Has anyone here done this successfully with a 7402?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
lonelobo said:
I have got my Fuso working as a nine speed with Campy Ergo brifters, Shimano 10 speed cassette, Shimano 7400 (six speed) derailleur and a Shiftmate. All is good except the 7400 can't quite reach the biggest cog, giving me a nine speed in effect. I really need that last gear, especially till I lose a little more weight. My lbs owner tells me that a 7402 (eight speed) rear derailleur should get me the extra throw I need to get into the low gear...it will grind away with the 7400 so it doesn' need much. And the 7402 looks almost identical to the 7400 and that would make ME happy. Has anyone here done this successfully with a 7402?

Interesting.......... I've used a 7400 RD with an 8 speed cassette many times.....The largest cog on an 8 speed cassette is the same position on the freehub as the 10 speed cassette..I'm having a hard time visualizing why the 7400RD won't work with 10 speed cassette width...

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Interesting.......... I've used a 7400 RD with an 8 speed cassette many times.....The largest cog on an 8 speed cassette is the same position on the freehub as the 10 speed cassette..I'm having a hard time visualizing why the 7400RD won't work with 10 speed cassette width...

Another thought occurred to me... are you using the 10 speed spacer? The 10 speed cassette is narrower than a 9 speed cassette. When using a 10 speed cassette on an 8/9 speed freehub body, you need a spacer( 2mm?). The spacer goes on before the cassette.
This might move the largest cog in enough to allow the 7400 RD to work

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spacer

I don't believe I put any spacer on before the cassette. Where would I get said spacer and what would I ask for? Is there a specific part number?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheels are Ultegra hubs with Mavic XP21 rims and Hutchison Gold Carbon Comp tires. Spokes were ultralight double butted till I broke 2 on rear at the HHH. Built rear back up with a little beefier single gauge to deal with my weight.

Got them at a swap meet. Bike came with DuraAce Hubs and Araya 1W rims. But it was a freewheel and I wanted to go 10 and I had the other wheels...and they're lighter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts