Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into these and wondering if anyone has input on the quality. Are they stiff for a heavier rider (190-200) with the spoke count they have? These would be used for daily riding flats mountains and everything in between. Thoughts?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Look around the forum and you'll find quite a bit of talk about them.

I can sum up a lot of what's been said in the following:
Low spoke count for your weight (I weigh roughly the same as you)
Proprietary spokes - pain the a&& to obtain and replace when needed - wheels have to be sent out - must buy a set from Shimano unless your lbs stocks them.
I have read about break track problems - just google this one to see

The positives are the hubs and skewers - most tend to agree on these points from what I have read.
I have no first hand experience with them - but did research these ones quite a bit when looking for new wheels - they were on a short list.
I think Shimano may be releasing new wheels @ the tour or some point son - you may want to hold off and see what is coming down the line.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a set of the Shimano RS80 C50 wheels, basically the same wheel with an Ultegra hub instead of Dura Ace hub.

I am 200-210 lbs and they are installed on a Fuji Altamira.

I broke a spoke about 50 miles into the first use. Shimano offered to repair the wheels under warranty. Instead to speed things up, shipped 5 spokes and nipples to my LBS and I paid $30 to have the wheel repaired, rebuilt. 5000 miles later they have been fine. Never needing any service

The brake track. At some point I started feeling a pulsing in the front brake. My LBS looked at the wheel and found that the pulsing was due to the wheeling slightly wider at one point. So not out of true that could be corrected. I contacted Shimano and they said the only real way that could happen would be due to impact, not perhaps a crash but hitting something on the road hard enough to splay the wheel. I used a clamp to bend the wheel back into size and the pulsing was corrected. Shimano said that this is not the correct way to fix this but also said the wheel is very sturdy and based on the slight pulsing, should not cause the wheel and harm. The RS80 version at least, is rated to 235 lbs and Shimano told me they can handle more.

The 16/20 spoke count makes for a very supple ride. Last year I was into doing Randonneur rides, 200k to 600k rides and comfort was paramount. These wheels have been ideal.
Recently I noticed I was able to deflect the wheel to cause the brake pad to rub on the rear. A LBS said it's pretty typical for a low spoke count wheel. Probably nothing wrong. Open up the brakes a little as I run then very tight so pressure on the levers require very little movement to get some braking action.

Another thing I have noticed is that the C50 wheel does very well dealing with cross winds compared to other similar deep wheels. Many group rides where riders on Zipp 404 and other wheels complain about getting blown around and I hardly notice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Look around the forum and you'll find quite a bit of talk about them.

I can sum up a lot of what's been said in the following:
Low spoke count for your weight (I weigh roughly the same as you)
Proprietary spokes - pain the a&& to obtain and replace when needed - wheels have to be sent out - must buy a set from Shimano unless your lbs stocks them.
I have read about break track problems - just google this one to see

The positives are the hubs and skewers - most tend to agree on these points from what I have read.
I have no first hand experience with them - but did research these ones quite a bit when looking for new wheels - they were on a short list.
I think Shimano may be releasing new wheels @ the tour or some point son - you may want to hold off and see what is coming down the line.
The spokes are user replaceable, and can be ordered through the LBS.

Rim strength is more important than the number of spokes.

I have 2 sets of Ultegra 10s wheels. They have been very reliable. No problems with them other than the cheap plastic dust cap coming off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good reliable wheels. I've ridden a set for a few years with no problems. The only drawback is serviceability. I crashed the front and it was cheaper to buy a new wheel than replace the rim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts