Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
How much do batteries cost?

Even Li-ion cells are not warrantied beyond 90 days, and only have a 100-200 or so charge/discharge cycles before they decay to the point of needing replaced.

Waste o' money.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Li-ion batteries lose around 20% of their charge capacity each year. I'd estimate the useful life of the battery to be around 3 years. Even if the battery is $100, that's around $33 a year and shouldn't be a problem for those willing to spend $2k on a groupos.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
It would have to be in the same price range as the Super Record group for me to consider it. I'm very curious of the technology, however I'm not willing to go beyond $2,000USD for any group, let alone the initial electronic offering.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
Jett said:
Nope, it only supports Windows Vista :)

Actually only XP SP3, with no implied support for Vista SP1 with a WEI of less than 5.7, and even then only on Nvidia chipsets-and only then in 32-bit.

Fine print is a byotch.

Linux will run anything. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
gatorling said:
Li-ion batteries lose around 20% of their charge capacity each year. I'd estimate the useful life of the battery to be around 3 years. Even if the battery is $100, that's around $33 a year and shouldn't be a problem for those willing to spend $2k on a groupos.
My problem with a electronic system is I would forget to charge the battery. I have a bad habit of not charge my cell phone or ipod. I'm always running out of juice on my cell. If it wasn't for for the car charger and a 2nd charger at work, my cell would be useless half the time.

It think I'm going to stick with mechanical for right now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
our shimano product guy has ridden electronic dura-ace earlier this year, and he came back gushing about how nice it was. I'll wait and see, but it is the first time I've heard this guy happy about new bike stuff. I'll stic with my red and see how everyone else likes it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This is the ultimate waste of money. Although it is smart for Shimano. They are essentially making a system that is so expensive to replace outright that people will continue to buy new batteries because its cheaper than buying a new gruppo. Brilliant marketing technique.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
So umm... are the brakes still cable operated? I see a Shimano 8000 opportunity!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
jderreks said:
our shimano product guy has ridden electronic dura-ace earlier this year, and he came back gushing about how nice it was.
For something that costs $3200 (USD, yep) for the group --it should make friggin coffee for you every morning.

Gawd, how much money did Shimano R&D spend on this farce?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
PigmyRacer said:
Just $3200?
Not including break calipers, so "no, not 'just $3200'" :)

STI Dual Control levers - £349.99/pair
Rear derailleur - £349.99
Front derailleur - £249.99
Cable set - £99.99
Battery - £49.99
Charger - £49.99
Chainset (Dura Ace FC7900) - £319.99
Cassette - £129.99

Courtesy of Cyclingnews, prices are for UK market, FYI FWIW.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Not including break calipers, so "no, not 'just $3200'" :)

STI Dual Control levers - £349.99/pair
Rear derailleur - £349.99
Front derailleur - £249.99
Cable set - £99.99
Battery - £49.99
Charger - £49.99
Chainset (Dura Ace FC7900) - £319.99
Cassette - £129.99

Courtesy of Cyclingnews, prices are for UK market, FYI FWIW.
How are the levers and RD the same price? That doesn't make sense. Also, cables don't cost $200, particularly when there are no shift cables.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.