Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
That's so freaking sweet being able to shift from the basebar as well as the aerobar portion. I didn't anticipate that possibility. I read an article in Bicycling Australia describing a bike of the future. In it they mentioned not only e-shift, but hydraulic disc brakes that would be actuatted by buttons on an integrated fork/basebar component. The idea was that buttons would have a lower profile and be more aero than levers. The e-shift idea seems a lot less silly/gimmicky to me now.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
One day... in the grand tours... riders will no longer shift, a computer or tech from the support car analyzing their rider data in realtime will shift for them for the best efficiency.

It's gonna be awesome.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
CleavesF said:
One day... in the grand tours... riders will no longer shift, a computer or tech from the support car analyzing their rider data in realtime will shift for them for the best efficiency.

It's gonna be awesome.

when that day happens there won't be team cars...

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
FatTireFred said:
when that day happens there won't be team cars...
because mechanical problems like flats are a thing of the past with electronic shifting! :p

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just amazing where and why the technology is going this way. Imagine not being able to ride, or continue to ride because the shifter is low or out of batteries. Imagine telling your friends you can't ride because you were suppose to charge the batteries last night and forgot.

What would be cool though is the system automatically shifting for you as your preference of lower than 100rpm is reached, or downshifting when higher than xx rpm is preferred. Or in full auto mode when anatomical efficiency is preferred. Well, at least until the batteries die or the system wonks out as some rain rides get to corroding things. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hope automatic shifting never becomes a reality, I think it'd take a lot away from the sport. And if it wasn't banned from races the performance advantage it would offer would pressure the more fundamental riders to adopt the new technology or become obsolete.

Same kind of thing has happened in the sport of Paintball.
First there were pump guns which made the games very tactical..and now they have electropneumatic computer controlled guns that allow you to pour out a constant stream of paint - essentially reducing a large portion of the game into "spray and pray".

·
Registered
203 Posts
If they don't do it already, one thing that would be nice is if these systems have a way to automatically sense derailleur alignment so that you always shift crisply without the need to tweak barrel adjusters (or potentiometers, I guess, since this is all electronic). With all the talk about the industry moving to 11 speeds and beyond, a self-calibrating system might make sense (assuming you think 11+ speeds makes sense in the first place ;) ). It might even be able to compensate to a degree for bent derailleur hangers and other problems.

Might not be a big deal to a pro who has his own mechanics and always starts the race with a perfectly tuned bike anyway, but frankly, it's one of the only features I could think of that might make electronic shifting useful for the rest of us.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wanted to see hydrolic shifters before electric ones... I don't want a bike that shifts for me. If I'm too lazy to change my one gears... then I'll just ride my singlespeed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shimano Airlines for Road

Anyone remember when Shimano introduced Airlines for their downhill bikes. That was some of the best shifting alive. I don't know why they got rid of that system. I suppose it wouldn't be aas good for road races because you can run out of co2. Mavic had an electronic system ...Mektronic... except it would shift when you rode past an electric grid. Wonder if Shimano has worked around that.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
One of the things that I find so beautiful about a fine, high end bicycle is that despite the fact that it may be made of super high tech alloys and composites, it is still man's ultimate expression of efficiency in a purely mechanical machine. All of that is lost when the controls become electronic. While I accept the fact that progress comes from inovation and "pushing the envelope", I think I'll keep my wonderfully simple machine all mechanical.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Shimano?

Einstruzende said:
I'd guess the levers are still being redesigned, so there is no point making molds for CF yet.
Does Shimano use carbon for anything?

For a TT bike, used for when every second counts, seems like this might be a good idea. Looks like the shifters are more aero, too.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
I give it about a week after a wireless shifting groupset comes to market before hackers crack it and make it essentially unusable because anyone with a laptop could shift rider's bikes by remote.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Hacked shifting.. now that would be so effing sad. Honestly.. the measurement units we use now (HR, power, speed, etc..) are all I care to see on bikes.. Electric shifting in my mind takes the whole simplicity out of bikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.