Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I saw an article just this week saying they actually ARE releasing them to go with the 2009 Dura Ace stuff... I'd heard they were scrapped before, too. In any case, the price is completely ridiculous. Zipp cranks are lighter and much cheaper. Anyhow, here's the update info on the carbon cranks--which supposedly ship in December:

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article.asp?UAN=3327&v=1

Only a moron would pay for those.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
MarvinK said:
Yeah just like the morons that buy Italian named Taiwanese bikes! :eek:

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Just you watch

MarvinK said:
Well then, this will be a great way to find out how many morons there are. More than you think, I'll bet.

BTW, though it's a whole different price point, the same was said when Campy (and others) introduced CF cranks, typically around $600+. "Who on earth thinks a crank set is worth that much?" Lots of people, it turns out.

At least there are SOME functional advantages to these high end cranks, unlike (ahem!) ceramic bearings :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Why would anyone want something as silly as a carbon crankset????

Woops, I mean as silly as a Non-Campy carbon crankset.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Kerry: I agree about there being plenty of morons--I'm just saying, they are still morons. And the pricing isn't high like most others when they entered the carbon market (Campy, FSA, SRAM, etc.). It's high like--we're Shimano and we're going to price our (very late to market) carbon crank like a boutique brand and pretend it's something special. We know there are plenty of morons who will buy it.

There is nothing about these cranks that justify price anywhere near $2400 (and don't get me wrong--I think the regular Dura Ace cranks are among the best on the market).

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
MarvinK said:
There is nothing about these cranks that justify price anywhere near $2400 (and don't get me wrong--I think the regular Dura Ace cranks are among the best on the market).
Well if you think regular 7800 Al cranks are among the best, what's to say that DA Carbon cranks aren't among the best if not the best?

You can't really rip on their price until the reviews come out, or you try it yourself.

ALWAYS GIVE BENEFIT OF DOUBT. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Benefit of the doubt?

CleavesF said:
Well if you think regular 7800 Al cranks are among the best, what's to say that DA Carbon cranks aren't among the best if not the best?

You can't really rip on their price until the reviews come out, or you try it yourself.

On my first day in marketing class, I learned the following: No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Just what possible benefit could justify a crankset costing 4X Campy Record? Just asking. And no, I won't give the benefit of the doubt on this. :)

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
CleavesF said:
I thought the quote was "Always doubt." Seems easier to remember...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.