Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ridden plenty of e-shifting bikes & of course there are many being ridden in local group/club rides. I have seen no reason to "upgrade" short of being forced to (due to no mechanical option on new upper-end road bikes). Well-tuned, both recent mechanical and e-systems shift excellently. Poorly tuned/maintained both can shift like crap- or malfunction. Both (when properly set up) shift in the snap of a finger....a fraction of a crank turn moving the chain up/down. Both can (and rarely do) drop a chain when not set up right. The notion that (properly set up) Di2 shifts SO much faster/crisper than DA/Ultegra mechanical is, in my experience, marketing BS.....much like the industry push to narrow/wheels back in the '90s.

I have no doubt that there remains a significant market for mechanical shifting to exist along with e-shifting. I have no doubt that the higher-level (Ult/DA) mechanical shifting sales decline has been due to an asymmetric drop in supply. (I had to use 105 11sp shifters on a groupo upgrade last year (pre-COVID) after I could not find new Ult/DA mech shifters in stock either locally or on-line at the time). I also have no doubt that the upper-end mechanical shift market void WILL be filled by other manufacturer(s) if indeed Shimano remains out of that market. If only because of the current huge price gap between mech 105 and Ult Di2.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts