Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Shimano (Finally) Launches 12-speed Road

13612 Views 109 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Oldteen
Thought it’d happen at EuroBike, and it did:

Campy and SRAM: “What took ya so long?” 😀

But Shimano’s elimination of mechanical shifting in Ultegra and Dura Ace might annoy some ppl.

And, no 53/39-ish option in Ultegra anymore? I personally don’t use it, but, oy. 😕

That said, at least they put the 16t cog back into their main road cassettes (11-28, 11-30) instead of going for the 10t. That was probably a good choice that’ll make most riders happy. 🚴
Black Body jewelry Automotive lighting Font Rectangle
See less See more
1 - 7 of 110 Posts
12 speed with an 11 cog is the same as 11 speed with a 12 cog... if you don't plan on riding the 50/11 very much, which is 99% of even serious non-professional cyclists. Who do they think is buying the 54 tooth ring besides pro teams? A 48/32 option (like Campy Chorus) would have been a better choice.

I am clearly no longer who Shimano is catering to. I hate everything this has to offer.
I pieced together a Super Record 12 speed mechanical group for less than $2K. The idea of paying more than that for Ultegra seems absurd. I only have one bike with Shimano components and even it is Shimergo (Campy shifters, Shimano drivetrain) because of the cable issues. I can guarantee that I will never buy electronic groupsets because I despise battery charging of any kind. I have enough trouble getting out the door worrying about tire pressure, water bottles, cycling gear and taping my nips!
Taping your nips? Do tell!
Not much to tell... Who doesn't like to have some fun while cycling? :rolleyes:

As I said... "If it made financial sense to cater to the small minority of luddites.. they would. But it doesn't. So they won't."
Both SRAM and Shimano note that people just aren't buying mechanical.

Electronic dominance
No one can deny that mechanical shifting has a sizeable advantage over electronic shifting in terms of serviceability and often weight (particularly at anything other than flagship price points). However, in conversations with countless product managers from various bicycle brands in recent months about consumer preferences, the answer is always the same: when given the option, so few people are actually buying the cable-actuated stuff that it’s impossible to justify keeping it around from a financial point of view.
I'm sorry, but this is just a blatant lie. You can't even find any 10, 11, or 12 speed high end (Super Record or Record) mechanical Campy groupsets because they are completely sold out. There is a tremendous demand for mechanical groupsets, they're just not available.
Your lie is a lie. :rolleyes:
Everything is sold out. There's a global shortage on all sorts of thing.

However, in conversations with countless product managers from various bicycle brands in recent months about consumer preferences, the answer is always the same: when given the option, so few people are actually buying the cable-actuated stuff that it’s impossible to justify keeping it around from a financial point of view.

But surely your anecdotal evidence is more reliable than the product managers of the actual products.
Your corporate overlords are scrambling your brain. You CAN buy electronic (EPS) components, only the mechanical ones are sold out. For example 11 speed SR EPS shifters are available, mechanical shifters are not.

I will be selling my Record 10 speed mechanical stuff soon, lets see how long it takes to sell...
I said SR and Record.... And try piecing together a groupset and see how it goes...

To be fair Campy is for luddites and not Shimano lemmings.
Since you mention Wiggle:

SR EPS 11 speed levers - in stock
SR 11 speed levers - out of stock

SR EPS 11 speed FD - in stock
SR 11 speed FD - out of stock

ProbikeKit:

SR EPS 11 speed levers - in stock

Texas Cyclesport:

SR EPS 11 speed levers - out of stock

See less See more
1 - 7 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.