Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Shimano has made some very smart choices here.

Shimano was smart to have the rim brake version of the groupset. With the 12spd cassettes compatible with current 11spd hubs, then current 11spd users can upgrade to 12spd without having to buy new wheels. This is a HUGE plus to these users and Shimano... because there would be PLENTY of current highend 11spd owners (both rims and disc, but especially rim) who would be willing to upgrade to 12spd while getting to keep their highend 11spd wheelsets.

Not going for 10t cog was also a smart (and necessary move) to keep the 12spd cassettes compatible with 11spd hubs. On the road bikes, it makes little sense to have a 10t cog.

Sharing the battery between the front and rear derailleur is a smart move IMO. This allows for a bigger battery, thus extended charge. Setting this up is something you only need to one time on a bike and that's it, set and forget. The plus is that their front mech is elegantly small. I'm amazed how small their front mech is.

And from all the reviews on youtube, shifting both front and rear, but especially the rear, is faster and smoother.

I think Shimano will be eating some of Sram's lunch if Shimano prices their Di Ultegra 8100 right.

I'm told by a wheelbuilder that Shimano's new carbon rims are filament wound, so from a weight perspective their rims should be light. The wheelbuilder told me that these same rims were actually available to wheelbuilders at least a year ago.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I think its kind of a nice detail that wiring the shifters in with the battery is an available option. I do not know though what the overwhelming consumer consensus regarding full versus partial wireless versus fully wired is but to me I like the option that they offer.

The no mechanical option still has me feeling caught off guard though.
I would say every serious cyclist is caught off guard with the lack of a 12spd mechanical.
This will mean Shimano will keep manufacturing 11spd mechanical groupset for the midlevel market.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I would be PERFECTLY happy if Shimano releases a 105 12-speed groupset. I honestly don't give a crap about buying any theoretical high priced 12-speed mechanical groupset.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Shimano will release a 105 12speed mechanical, and it will be a good one, because it will be trickled down from their 12speed XTR stuff. Shimano wouldn't have spent too much time nor money for R&D. So even though it may be "105" level groupset, it might as well be XTR. Shimano will be even more dominant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts