Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Shimano Flight deck and really like it. I usually leave the speed/cadence screen up. When I finish my ride I go back to the distance and time screens and they are all zeros.

I'm sure I'm resetting it by accidentally hitting the buttons during the ride, but I'm not sure what buttons would reset the time / distance while on the speed/cadence screen. I'm going to go mess with it and see if I can figure it out. I don't think it's possible for me not to accidentally press the button at least once over a 30+ mile ride considering the placement of the buttons. So I was wondering if anyone else has come up with a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Doc_D said:
I picked up a Shimano Flight deck and really like it. I usually leave the speed/cadence screen up. When I finish my ride I go back to the distance and time screens and they are all zeros.

I'm sure I'm resetting it by accidentally hitting the buttons during the ride, but I'm not sure what buttons would reset the time / distance while on the speed/cadence screen. I'm going to go mess with it and see if I can figure it out. I don't think it's possible for me not to accidentally press the button at least once over a 30+ mile ride considering the placement of the buttons. So I was wondering if anyone else has come up with a solution to this problem?

Thanks!
I had the same problem. I took some small neopren rubber feet used for planters and stuck them in a circle around the left button about two high so that you had to depress them to get to the button. This is under the hood of course. I think a couple of donuts of wetsuit neoprene would work in the same way with the button in the hole. You just want to make it a bit harder to depress the button. I've had mine like this for a year or so without a problem. It was very irritating until I added the fix.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Doc_D said:

Thanks!
I have a 6501 (9-speed). You cannot turn it off from the cadence, etc. screen. Maybe you have never turned it on??? Hold down the right button to go to the distance, etc. screen and hit the left button to turn it on. Try it to see if the distance starts adding up. (There's also something that flashes when on, I think???) Hold the right button to go back to cadence, etc. and leave it there. If you ride in the distance screen, you will turn it off. - TF

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
I have a 6501 (9-speed). You cannot turn it off from the cadence, etc. screen. Maybe you have never turned it on??? Hold down the right button to go to the distance, etc. screen and hit the left button to turn it on. Try it to see if the distance starts adding up. (There's also something that flashes when on, I think???) Hold the right button to go back to cadence, etc. and leave it there. If you ride in the distance screen, you will turn it off. - TF
I have mine (10 speed) setup for auto start. I do have to turn it on before a ride. I kept hitting the left button when in one of the screens (distance?) and turning it off. It was just easier to make it harder to hit the button for me. Overall a nice product but the ability to start and stop it inadvertantly was a big problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Doc_D said:

Thanks!
The only way to actually reset the counters is to hold down both buttons (L/R hood buttons). So unless you do that, the counters should not reset. However, if you push the L hood button, it will stop the counters (not reset). The latter is the only thing I have done before accidently. That part sucks when you are 40 miles in and realized your counter was 'stopped' at mile 3. I'm surprised Shimano hasn't fixed this yet (though not really a defect). Hence, I am constantly looking at the screen to see the icon indicating its 'counting' to ensure its not stopped. Not even an issue to me anymore.

I would suggest in future versions that the reset and stop only be done via the buttons on the computer itself. That way there is no way you can accidently trigger either event.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
A4B45200 said:
The only way to actually reset the counters is to hold down both buttons (L/R hood buttons). So unless you do that, the counters should not reset. However, if you push the L hood button, it will stop the counters (not reset). The latter is the only thing I have done before accidently. That part sucks when you are 40 miles in and realized your counter was 'stopped' at mile 3. I'm surprised Shimano hasn't fixed this yet (though not really a defect). Hence, I am constantly looking at the screen to see the icon indicating its 'counting' to ensure its not stopped. Not even an issue to me anymore.

I would suggest in future versions that the reset and stop only be done via the buttons on the computer itself. That way there is no way you can accidently trigger either event.
That's what I was doing. the little rubber spacers work great. You do have to really push hard when resetting everything though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I just got a think rubber o-ring about the size of a nickel and put it under the left hood around the button. I got it in the plumbing section at a hardware store. It works great. Just squeezing the hood it's impossible to accidentally hit it. But using the tip of your finger or thumb it's not hard to press. I rode 35 miles yesterday and for the first time all my time/distance/speed information was there at the end.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Doc_D said:
Thanks for the replies. I just got a think rubber o-ring about the size of a nickel and put it under the left hood around the button. I got it in the plumbing section at a hardware store. It works great. Just squeezing the hood it's impossible to accidentally hit it. But using the tip of your finger or thumb it's not hard to press. I rode 35 miles yesterday and for the first time all my time/distance/speed information was there at the end.

Thanks for the ideas!

Glad to hear that it worked for you. Ironically for some reason (I'm guessing the cold). I hit my start stop button before my ride yesterday and lost a couple of miles on my odometer before I noticed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts