Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a post from the "weightweenies" forum suggesting that Shimano has an electronic groupset being tested as well as filing a patent on it.

=================================================================
"unfortunately" i am on mallorca, so i cannot write a lot, but i just want to let you know this:
Today i rode with the skil-shimano squad for a few kilometers and all of the japanese riders were riding shimano electronic groups! the groupset looks wicked.... HUGE front derrailleur&rear derrailleur and some sort of "eyes" on the top of the STI levers, where you can see the gear you are using. The STIs also looked much leaner than the normal 10speed ones. i asked them about it, but all of them only said "yes electronic, but top-secret" Sad. I also was not allowed to take pictures.
thats all i know so far.

=================================================================

If you scroll down a bit in the thread ( http://www.weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13863 ), you will see that someone located Shimano's patent on it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
Yes, they're powered by moonbeams.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Electric Shift

Electric shift with remote control shifter. Just tap a button to shift. Think of all the weight you will save with no cables.

·
Registered
114 Posts
fredstaple said:
Electric shift with remote control shifter. Just tap a button to shift. Think of all the weight you will save with no cables.
And the magic weightless batteries, of course!

·
Banned
608 Posts
It will be great when your batteries flake out and you have to flag down another cyclist to ask for a jump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
It will be great when your batteries flake out and you have to flag down another cyclist to ask for a jump.
Oh, man that'd be great. Think they get jammed by radar guns like the old Mavic Zap supposidly did?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
First version will be a five-speed...

...and all the early adopters will pay top dollar for it. Then in about a year they'll introduce the Ultra 6 version, with six cogs in the space formerly occupied by five, and they'll all buy that (spacing will differ, so they'll need new shifter sending and receiving units, too). Then the seven will come out, same deal, and then over the years an eight, nine and 10-speed. Then, in a bold revolt against complexity, they'll introduce the all-new cable-actuated Shimano High-Intensity Transmission, with the derailleurs held in alignment by the friction of the shifters alone, giving cyclists just the clean, simple feel of the bicycle and the road . . . .

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I wonder if I can buy just the shifter without the derailleurs. Think of all the fun I could have messing with the guys who just spent the rent money on a new, ultra high dollar, shifting system.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
fredstaple said:
Campagnolo's electric system weighs about the same as the Record gruppo, the weight that is gained by batteries is lost by brifters that are just buttons that you push. Shimano will be no different in that respect. There is talk tha Shimano aims for some dynamo system in the BB although that would require equal extra wattage to be pushed as the apparatus consumes to maintain the same speed. ;)

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
I aslo heard...

They where experiencing with coal boilers and rubber bands.

But I'm waiting for the japanese to unleash the power of nuclear energy powered shifting. Really.

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
574 Posts
Cory said:
...Then, in a bold revolt against complexity, they'll introduce the all-new cable-actuated Shimano High-Intensity Transmission, with the derailleurs held in alignment by the friction of the shifters alone, giving cyclists just the clean, simple feel of the bicycle and the road . . . .
Hehehe, I was thinking just the opposite. Shimano will start incorporating a small, gasoline engine that uses the pedals to start it up. Shimano Hybrid Technology.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
turbogrover said:
Hehehe, I was thinking just the opposite. Shimano will start incorporating a small, gasoline engine that uses the pedals to start it up. Shimano Hybrid Technology.
At last a SHyTe bike!!

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Cory said:
Then the seven will come out, same deal, and then over the years an eight, nine and 10-speed.
Mine goes to eleven!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts