Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone with experience with both 9 and 10 speed Shimano rear hubs care to comment on whether or not the 10 speed, particularly at the Ultegra level, retain the whisper quiet operation which is characteristic of the 9 speed? I have heard that the 10 speed hubs now click just like Campagnolo.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Shimano 10spd freehub noise

ManBehindTheCurtain said:
Would someone with experience with both 9 and 10 speed Shimano rear hubs care to comment on whether or not the 10 speed, particularly at the Ultegra level, retain the whisper quiet operation which is characteristic of the 9 speed? I have heard that the 10 speed hubs now click just like Campagnolo.
There is no such thing as an Ultegra "10spd" hub. Which is to say, that the hub did not change - 10spd cassettes work on Ultegra FH-6600 8/9/10spd hubs.

There are, however, Dura-Ace 10spd hubs - Shimano changed the spline pattern so that only 10spd cassettes fit on the Dura-Ace FH-7800 10spd hub. The Dura-Ace FH-7800 10spd hub is a virtual copy of the Campagnolo 9/10spd hub (only not quite as well executed), so it is not surprising that it is just as noisy as the Campagnolo hub.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The center to right flange spacing is the same as before (20.8mm) but the center to left flange spacing is higher (38.4mm vs 36.6). You are correct that there is more asymetry, but the wider flange spacing is actually a good thing.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something ...

FORT-Cyclist said:
www.shimano.com

9 speed ultegra isn't listed there anymore but 9 speed 105 is, which has the same rear hub dimensions.
Compare that with the 10 speed dimensions.
The flange spacing for Ultegra FH-6600 is listed as 20.8mm/38.4mm R/L, which is identical to the 105 FH-5600 (the FH-5600 specifies flange spacing to be 59.2mm spacing, 8.8mm assymetry, which is the same as 20.8mm/38.4mm R/L). In contrast, the Dura-Ace FH-7800 is listed as 20.55mm/36.35mm R/L.

So the Ultegra 10spd version is no different from the 9spd version, and it is only the Dura-Ace 10spd rear hub which has a different assymetry. It isn't terribly surprising that the Dura-Ace rear hub is different from all the other Shimano rear hubs, simply because it is a completely new and different design and shares no parts in common.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
R600 wheel set

Mark McM said:
It isn't terribly surprising that the Dura-Ace rear hub is different from all the other Shimano rear hubs, simply because it is a completely new and different design and shares no parts in common.
The new Shimano R600 wheelset is touted as being Ultegra level but is 10 speed only. It appears to me to be not the same hub as current 9 speed Ultegra. Am I correct in assuming that this is the new Dura-Ace rear hub?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.