1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts
Those shifters are fugly IMHO. I'm sure they're great, but I really like the look of the SRAM shifters a whole lot more.

Other than that, it looks good. Any word as to whether or not any of it's compatible with 6600?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
IRVINE, CA (BRAIN)—Shimano Ultegra 6700 is entirely new for 2010 and borrows the look and many features of the Dura Ace 7900 series to drop 150 grams of weight compared to Ultegra 6600.

The most noticeable change is the redesigned crankset that borrows Dura Ace technology for its hollow large chainring to keep things light and stiff for crisp shifting. The look is also clearly Dura Ace inspired. The new crank saves 15 grams over the current Ultegra SL crank.

And like Dura Ace, ST-6700 Dual Control Levers feature hidden cables so everything is under the tape. The levers have carbon blades, are more compact than previous Ultegra levers, now have reach adjustment and easier braking from the hoods.

ST-6700 levers are backwards compatible with 6600 series Ultegra drivetrains and brakes, though Shimano says mixing the groups will not take full advantage of the new features. The front derailleur stroke of the new group is similar to the 6600 front derailleur, but the brakes have revised pivots like Dura Ace.

Derailleurs all adopt wider pivots for less flex and the group uses an asymmetrical chain similar to Dura Ace.

Brakes have revised pivots similar to Dura Ace groups, but because the front derailleur stroke remains similar to 6600 Ultegra, backward compatibility is possible.

Rounding out the new group is the WH-6700 Ultegra wheelset, which weighs 1650 grams and is Road Tubeless compatible.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks very nice to me. I like that they are still making a triple version. Just hope it is reasonably priced. Wheels look really nice if they can be had for what the current Ultegra wheelset can be had for.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Omg... time to start parting out the 6600 lol...

Just for looks man... just for looks.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cyclo-phile said:
It's still 20g heavier than Rival and probably a butt-load more expensive.
20g is nothing for IMO a better system (shimano vs SRAM)overall. Now lets see what pricing is compared to Rival.
I also fell Ultegra is more like FORCE than Rival. Whether you agree, Its Shimano 2nd vs SRAM's 2nd in most consumer's eyes.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That new crank ticks me off. Its so pretty but they didn't make the size I want (180mm), kept the crappy pinch bolts and included those new super expensive chainrings.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
20g is nothing for IMO a better system (shimano vs SRAM)overall. Now lets see what pricing is compared to Rival.
I also fell Ultegra is more like FORCE than Rival. Whether you agree, Its Shimano 2nd vs SRAM's 2nd in most consumer's eyes.
Shift action is a very personal choice, so isn't worth debating. Both Shimano and SRAM have proven to be very reliable. Let's just compare weights:

Shimano Dura Ace 7900 -- ~2000g ------ SRAM RED ---- 1928g
Shimano Ultegra 6700 ------- 2301g ------ SRAM Force --- 2114g
Shimano 105 5600 ------------ 2536g ------ SRAM Rival ---- 2281g

When comparing apples to apples (2nd tier to 2nd tier) the differences are much greater. I was pointing out that SRAM's 3rd tier is still lighter than Shimano's new 2nd tier.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If anyone was thinking of upgrading to Ultegra 6600, wait! I smell a BIG SALE coming up the pike.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I like that the logos can be polished off.

For me, that's a feature.

It'd still look dorky on a skinny little steel frame, though.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The shifters and crank are "butt ugly" in my opinion. And how much will it cost to replace that "proprietary" chainring?

But that's OK. I'm a Campy guy.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I'm not feeling the cranks either, the look is massive but paired with a big tube CF bike, probably a compliment. We'll see...I've been waiting for the hidden shifter cable.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
kbiker3111 said:
That new crank ticks me off. Its so pretty but they didn't make the size I want (180mm), kept the crappy pinch bolts and included those new super expensive chainrings.
Except that the 'crappy pinch bolts' work better and with less installation problems than the rest of the systems.

But yeah, I'd avoid the crank, too. If I'm not mistaken, it's where most of the weight penalty is.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Richard said:
The shifters and crank are "butt ugly" in my opinion. And how much will it cost to replace that "proprietary" chainring?

But that's OK. I'm a Campy guy.
How often do you change your chainrings?

They are not like cassettes they last for a long
time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has anyone seen a proposed MSRP yet? I imagine the early adopter tax will be fairly stiff, but it'll be interesting to see where the street price actually settles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts