Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice Italian bike with Shimano on it. Ultegra actionally. I hear it from people all the time that I should have put Campy on such a nice bike. I have always ridden Ultegra. Bought the new 10 speed last year and rode thousands of miles and over 30 race and never had a problem.

Is there really a diference or will I ride faster or stronger if I buy Record or Dura Ace? Just want to see people's reasoning.

When people do tell me that I should have Campy, I usually act dumb and ask them why?? I never really get a good response. The only true response was from a friend who said that record is the most expensive and he likes spending the most $$ on his toys. Hey, he was honest.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,693 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
I have a nice Italian bike with Shimano on it. Ultegra actionally. I hear it from people all the time that I should have put Campy on such a nice bike. I have always ridden Ultegra. Bought the new 10 speed last year and rode thousands of miles and over 30 race and never had a problem.

Is there really a diference or will I ride faster or stronger if I buy Record or Dura Ace? Just want to see people's reasoning.

When people do tell me that I should have Campy, I usually act dumb and ask them why?? I never really get a good response. The only true response was from a friend who said that record is the most expensive and he likes spending the most $$ on his toys. Hey, he was honest.
It's [email protected] quite simple---**AND** I'm sure that **Kerry** will back me up...

#1) Campy is good

#2) Shi()mano isn't

ready...set...flame

PS-I like the hood shape better. FIT FIT FIT

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Well I just switched form Ultegra 9sp...

to Campy 10 for a few reasons:

1. Got a killer deal
  2. I wated something different and 9spd is fading
  3. It's lighter than Shimano
  4. It's rebuildable and holds it's value
  5. Carbon levers are sweet!
  6. I am Italian
Well if you have an Italian bike, Campy will just "go with it " better.
If you re happy with Ultegra 10, stay with it. After 2 yrs road riding again, the Shimano hoods just never felt perfect. After trying Campy, they fit my hands much, much better already after one ride.

Both are very good systems and each has it's pro and cons. Shimano is smoother and the FD shifts better.

Again if you are happy why worry. Try someone bike with campy and see how it feels and works. if it's better for YOU then switch.

You are gonna get all these Shitmano threads from the Campy crazies!
Just read everything carefully and decide for yourself.

Again best thing is to test ride it and make a judgement for yourself!

I also don't like the way the new 10spd Shimano hoods look. Feel fine and better than the older versions. Just Campy fit my hand like a glove and I prefer the hoods.

Not keen on the thumb shifting thing though......

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like a bit of trolling to me?

After using both I switched to Campy simply because I like the shifting and feel of riding on the hoods more. These days, Shimano's much more expensive anyways.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have Ultegra 10 on one bike and Chorus/Centaur on the other. There is no one true path. Variety is the spice of life.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
You could use the search function and find 20 or 30 re-treads of this debate.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
They both suck!
(presumed quote from forthcoming SRAM Road Gruppo brochure) :D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
will I ride faster or stronger if I buy Record or Dura Ace? Just want to see people's reasoning.
well of course not.

what frame is it? well sir, as for me... i like the look of campy better !

if you are like me and you build your own bikes, at least here in OZ, campy is cheaper !

i put together a full centaur, chorus and even record gruppo for around $950 including rip off wipperman chain @$100 from the LBS... most of the gruppo was from UK and US ebay anyway. Over here, a full ultegra set is around $1,200 retail vs $950 for centaur and $1,400 for chorus.. given that i have no warantee on my campy gear, the fact that it is at least rebuildable should anything go wrong is an essential feature... That plus the "made in italy" stamps on everything is awesome, so shimano was never really an option for me...

personally, i wouldn't object to a shimano bike if that is how it came from the LBS, but i am very unlikely to buy a road bike off the shelf anytime soon, so.... campy for me !

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Why

Soggy Feed Bag said:
...I have always ridden Ultegra. Bought the new 10 speed last year... ...When people do tell me that I should have Campy, I usually act dumb and ask them why?
Why did you buy Ultegra the first time? Why did you buy it the second time?

Soggy Feed Bag said:
...will I ride faster or stronger if I buy Record or Dura Ace?
No

Soggy Feed Bag said:
...Just want to see people's reasoning...
Search (of just scroll) and read. Lots of passion and emotion in the threads and if you dig a little deeper you will find some explanations for both groups. Be careful that you are reading facts and not opinions.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Room 1201 said:
It's [email protected] quite simple---**AND** I'm sure that **Kerry** will back me up...

#1) Campy is good

#2) Shi()mano isn't

ready...set...flame

PS-I like the hood shape better. FIT FIT FIT
As I expected, the first responder had to be a goof. Thank you to the rest for actually being an adult.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
When I built my bike it came factory with full DA 10. I knew the DA would work good, but I also knew the Record would work as well if not better. I also fell in love with the shape of the hoods. I used to ride Shimano and never felt great on the hoods, now I ride most the time on them and love it. It is also great as the smooth transition and the look just are perfect!

k

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
"the best color for an English sports car is BRG," - nice sentiment but pretty meaningless.
HA! Everyone knows that Brittish racing green is the only color that should be on a english sports car.

And campy makes you faster, look at the hood shape, more aero!

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Hood shape

While I am a Campy fan, I would say that at the same price point, the functional difference for most people is the hood shape/feel. Neither will make you faster in any circumstance, so go with whichever feels best to you. The things that I like about Campy, such as extreme durability and ability to repair are meaningless to most people, who either don't ride enough to make a difference or upgrade frequently enough such that these issues don't come into play. Your friends are playing a game similar to "the best color for an English sports car is BRG," - nice sentiment but pretty meaningless.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
After having a mixed fleet of Shimano and Campy, I no longer build with Shimano.

And there are 4 reasons.

1) I prefer the Campy thumb shifters to the dual-swinging-lever design of Shimano
2) I greatly prefer the cable routing design of Campy
3) I think Campy looks better
4) Record is less expensive than Dura Ace. Chorus is every bit as good as Dura Ace and it costs a lot less. I won't even consider Ultegra because I am a snob and it's burned me twice.

There, 4 serious reasons based on my experience.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Presumptions

BugMan said:
They both suck!
(presumed quote from forthcoming SRAM Road Gruppo brochure) :D
You are also presuming that SRAM will perform as designed and marketed. Time will tell.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
You are also presuming that SRAM will perform as designed and marketed. Time will tell.
Personally I would never use anything but campag on a road bike, but I have been very happy with the SRAM X.0 stuff on my MTB. SRAM has really gotten it together over
the last couple of years as far as derailleurs and shifters go. I expect their road group
will work well.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Aesthetics. Campy cable routing is nicer looking to most.
Repariability of shifters. Campy is Shimano not so.
Hoods. Campy big flat tops. Shimano smaller more curved.
BB and Cranks. Shimano uses newer outboard BB and hollow crank arms. Campy more traditional square taper. Its a coin flip to me if one is really any better.
Campy uses carbon.
Italy or Japan.
Campy makes nice threadless headsets. Shimano only threaded 1" for some reason.
Shimano makes MTB cassettes and deraileurs that can be used with their road shifters and hubs for wide range gearing with very low gears.
Campy machines wheels for Ferrari.
Shimano makes fishing reels.
Campy makes a huge gaudy wine opener.
Shimano makes mountain bike parts.
I exactly one Shimano component on my one bike. A freebie pair of old 600 brake levers and no Campy at all. What the hell do I know?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have Record on my Look 585 and Dura Ace on my Trek 5500. Both work fine. It's really down to aesthetics and the feel of the hoods. Personally, I prefer Dura Ace - the hoods feel better (to me), the shifting is a little smoother, the braking is firmer and the drive train is a little quieter, even if the appearance is a little more utilitarian. But the differences are marginal.

If you have Ultegra and have no issues with it, there is absolutely no reason to change. Even Colnago use Shimano these days, so I wouldn't be concerned about it. It's your bike - put what you like on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tough but personal.

I like you was deciding between the two. My new C-50 is coming this week from chicago. I was torn between the two. I am use to Shimano and have had no trouble with their components, however with the italian bike I really liked the looks of the campy stuff. the price diff was only going to be about 150.00 for carbon record( at this point in the build, that was paenuts). So I went and and tried the campy and it worked great but It didn't feel right in my hands. Maybe because I was use to Shimano. So I chose the Shimano. I also received some input from a friend who has both and his complaint was whatever I choose keep both bikes the same if I will be alternating beacuse it can be a pain going from one to the other. But I do like the looks of the Campy better.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts