Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will any of the Shimano road platform pedals (the 7750's or 7800's) allow release/exit from either side?

Looking to purchase a set of road platform pedals that are easy to get out of.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Are you talking about the SPD-SL pedals? If so the answer is yes. I'm confused by your use of the word "platform" because that usually refers to the kind of pedal your foot just rests on, no automatic binding mechanism.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camilo said:
Are you talking about the SPD-SL pedals? If so the answer is yes. I'm confused by your use of the word "platform" because that usually refers to the kind of pedal your foot just rests on, no automatic binding mechanism.
Camilo-

I'm talking about pedal styles like the Dura Ace style pedal.

Keith

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
I believe all the pedals will pretty much exit from either direction as long as you have enough room to turn your foot. If using a cleat with float you may find not enough room to turn your heel toward the bike for release. I think (never really thought about it) that most riders tend to turn their heels out to release...unless maybe you have some sort of physical limitation which prevents that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again -------

For whatever reason, I tend to exit mostly to the inside, depending on the urgency.

You bring up an interesting point - I have the Candy C pedals and it probably does take a lot more movement to exit.

I'm looking to give the Dura Ace pedals a try on my road bike.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
thevalvesource said:
Camilo-

I'm talking about pedal styles like the Dura Ace style pedal.

Keith
Keith - yea, that type of pedal is called SPD-SL. Dura Ace is just one variety of that pedal that Shimano makes. Of course it's the lightest and most expensive, possibly the best. But funcitonally, it's the same as all other Shimano SPD-SL pedals, they all release either way and they all use exactly the same cleat. The 105 and Ultegra versions work exactly the same, the only difference being pretty much an ounce (30 gm) of weight per pair.

Anyway, I've never heard of an automatic pedal (aka "clipless) that doesn't release both ways. I've use SPD, Time and SPD-SL but have heard the same for Look and Speedplay as well.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Camilo said:
Anyway, I've never heard of an automatic pedal (aka "clipless) that doesn't release both ways.
In my recollection, Speedplay pedals only release heel out. Perhaps there's been a design change, I went back to Looks some years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.