Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
IIRC the difference is with the upper, not the sole. you get the ratchet strap and sexy silver with the r215, and the velcro on black with the r151

Old_school_nik said:
Does anyone now if there is a difference between the Shimano 215 sole and the cheaper Shimano 151? Is it just the fancy 3rd starp that you are paying for with the more expensive shoe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nik

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Get the 151's. They are a great shoe. You need that buckle on the 215's like a submarine needs a screen door.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Get the 151's. They are a great shoe. You need that buckle on the 215's like a submarine needs a screen door.
Same sole, I have two sets of r150's and one of the R151. Great shoes. I just hope I'm not damned to hell being a Campy user.

·
Registered
95 Posts
simpler is better, get the r151's

i have a pair of the 151's and they are great shoes. from researching the shoes before i purchased, and from just eyeballing them, they look exactly the same, except for the cosmetic differences already noted..
personally, i'm wary of shoes with buckles, and only this year bought my first pair. and only then because they were on clearance at rei at 1/3 their retail price. (a pair of pearl izumi mtb shoes that have an incredibly stiff sole, considering they are not carbon.)
i've literally seen shoes being repaired at bike shops 3 times, where a buckle has failed and is in the process of being replaced. the straps work just as well and you'll never have to worry about the buckle failing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Like the others, I think that the shoes are identical with the exception of the strap/buckle (and color) thing. I actually prefer the slight advantage in on-bike adjustability with the buckle, and the "feel" that the buckled strap gives over a straight velcro. But, hey, everyone has their preferences, and Boonen, for one, has won plenty using those Northwaves without the buckle. Given the price difference in shoes with and without the buckle, I would generally say that its not worth the added moolah for the buckle, unless you know you really prefer it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.