Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I bought a bike with R550 wheels. From Shimano's website it appears that the 550s are below 105s. Is this correct? So now I am wondering, keep them and smoke em or sell them while still new (er) and get better wheels? Not a racer. Road bike has to share time with my MTB and also my commuter bike. Would so called better wheels - Ultegra, Mavic, Neuvation, etc. be a noticeable improvement? Can't drop a ton of cash on new wheels - otherwise I would have (should have) bought the next model up.

Thanks

· Registered
192 Posts
Not being a Smart Alec but

..... do yourself a favour and look up Wh550 reviews on this site and on others. I did that when i was deciding on a good pair of touring / all round wheels. Some people reported them as displaying slight flex - I personally don't notice that ( I weigh 13 stone at the moment) I've rode on them for about 20 months including bad weather, rough roads etc and they didn't go out of true. Bearings, rim surface etc bore up well. Its been a few years since I raced but I don't think they'd even bother me at the level that I did race. I remember a few reviews in the cycling press where they came out well.

· jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
I don't find any difference between 550s and Neuvations as far as performance goes, but I've had a problem with spokes breaking on my rear 550 that I haven't had on any other wheelsets. The breaks usually occur in the round portion of the spoke near the rim. In that price range, I'd recommend Neuvations or Ultegra/Open Pro over 550s.

· Registered
449 Posts
Love my R-550's for commuting and general riding... the only complaint i've really seen is that they're a bit heavy, but if you're not racing, who cares... i'd keep em. i've only put a couple hundred on mine so far, but they've been great...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.