Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn, finally received my Shimano RS80's which I think I'm going to like alot, but the front wheel has a loose piece inside the rim, looks like it is the backing to the two spot welds in one area on the rim, oh well, even the best company can have a problem every once in a while. The good news is BikeBling.com has handled the problem very quickly and fairly, new wheel in a few days..
I did get the back one on OK with new Conti GP4000 tires so my weight saving has started already, about 14oz.

·
Registered
26 Posts
let me know what you think after a couple of weeks.
I ordered mine on ebay but they won't be here till next week. :(
also coud you take a picture and post it so I know what to look for?

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good to hear BikeBling took care of you. I do take into consideration customer service when ordering products and how they treat their customers. Hope you enjoy your new ride!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front wheel already back in box..

austinkicksass said:
let me know what you think after a couple of weeks.
I ordered mine on ebay but they won't be here till next week. :(
also could you take a picture and post it so I know what to look for?

thanks
Austin
Here is decent picture I found of these wheels, but i assume you wanted a picture of the defect.
https://www.wayfarerbike.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rs80.jpg

The loose piece was hard to find/see even though I heard the piece rattling around, I had to remove the blue rim strip and could just barely see the edge of a 1/48 x3/8" metal piece sliding between spoke holes, it was between the spokes where a seam was evident from the carbon and aluminum side. Sometimes I had to bounce the tire fairly hard to unlodge the loose piece or centrifugal force would wedge it against something, Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Love my RS-80's, also put Conti's on them as well, but I did the 25's and they are sweet, makes climbing and cornering great.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, i have the 25's too

Tommy Walker said:
Love my RS-80's, also put Conti's on them as well, but I did the 25's and they are sweet, makes climbing and cornering great.
They seem a little higher volume then the Bontrager Race Lite Hard Cases I'm replacing, but also150 grams lighter.

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Hikertoo, be sure to give us an update on how you like these wheels! I've always thought they looked really cool, even though I'm not much of a shimano guy. Carbon rim is distinctive for sure :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Love my RS-80's, also put Conti's on them as well, but I did the 25's and they are sweet, makes climbing and cornering great
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Conti 4000 25c on RS80 = WINNER!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem on my 7850 c24's, it was just a tiny little round piece inside the rim, after shaking it around for a while i got it to fall out the valve stem hole and the wheels have been silent ever since. It seems to be a common problem and fairly annoying that shimano hasn't corrected it. If your next wheel does it see if you can shake the piece out.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May not be the same piece

I had the same problem on my 7850 c24's, it was just a tiny little round piece inside the rim, after shaking it around for a while i got it to fall out the valve stem hole and the wheels have been silent ever since. It seems to be a common problem and fairly annoying that Shimano hasn't corrected it. If your next wheel does it see if you can shake the piece out.
Mine would not fit out of the hole and had a definite shape to it with a lip and groove that somehow matched the rim surface, I think it was the backing for the 2 spot welds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are some shots of my Shimano RS80 wheels. So far so good having had them for the last 2.5 months. I've gone over some very bad roads for long distances (not common for me) and they're still fine. The low spokes in front do scare me just a bit but should be fine given my 137lbs body. Wouldn't mind giving the BWW Blackset a try one day as well.

I purchased them for $420 USD from chain reaction cycles. They've increased in price since then.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts