Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the setback is on the shimano seatposts? I've searched the net and that seems to be something they don't list. I'm interested in the Ultegra 6600 post, but it looks like the same set back as the DuraAce. Anyway if you happen to have one of those posts and a ruler handy, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I've no idea how to measure seatpost setback - from where to where do you measure? Here's a quick shot of an Ultegra post with a ruler - perhaps you can figure setback from that.

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wim said:
I've no idea how to measure seatpost setback - from where to where do you measure? Here's a quick shot of an Ultegra post with a ruler - perhaps you can figure setback from that.

Wow, thanks a lot for the pic. The set back looks to be 25mm from the pic. Thats from the center of the seat post to the center of the clamp cradle.

How's that ultegra post working for you? If you don't notice it or think about, then that's a good sign

It looks like the post and clamp cradle are one piece? Is that correct?

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thats from the center of the seat post to the center of the clamp cradle.
Thanks, learned something new.

Exactly, the post disappears under you. Never any problems. I like the one-piece design - one less joint to fail . . .:)

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wim said:
. I like the one-piece design - one less joint to fail . . .:)
Yes, exactly.

I have a Bontrager post, had it about 8 months, and the cradle is no longer solidly attached to the tube. It was making a lot of noise, I guess the bonding is going, I took the post off and when I take the cradle of it and torque a little with my hand, I can feel it move slightly and hear it as well. I have the reciept for it and there's a one year warranty so I don't think I'll have any trouble getting it replaced through the LBS I got it from, but I think I'll get the Ultegra post and hopefully sell off the new warranty replacement post from Bontrager.

The set back info was helpful since anything less than 20mm isn't going to work for me.

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got the post

I just got the Ultegra post. Took a while to get it. One place said they couldn''t get it after I had placed the order. Then another was possibly going to get some. Then a third place actually got on the phone to Shimano and ordered it. With all the trouble to get it, I wanted it for simply that at this point

Anyway I don't think it's a one piece design. I could see an ever so slight seam. And when I look into the tube I can see the inserted part of the head. I think it may have been welded, but I'm not sure, they did excellent finishing job. I don't think the weight they claim is true (214g). I'm no weight weenie but the ultegra post feels heavier than the Bontrager Race Post by quite a bit. The tubing on the Ultegra is thicker as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that, durability is a good thing. Just relaying some info in general

I haven't rode on it yet. I installed it and with my saddle all the way back my saddle is still about 3 mm forward of where I had it. The set back seems fine, but the clamp extends forward too much for my saddle rails. I'm still pondering what to do, since I installed it, it got those scratches that it gets when you slide it in, so I can't return it. I know my position changes slightly and I can probably get away with those 3 mm later in the year.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thanks for getting back with this. I looked at my Ultegra post closely after reading your RBR post and, indeed, I can see a very slight change in the surface polish about two millimeters above the "U" of "Ultegra." You got me wondering about the one-piece design now . . .:) I need to check it out in strong sunlight tomorrow . . .

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can just remove the post and take a look in the tube also. I looked in there with a flashlight. I would have posted a picture, but I doubt I could get one to come out.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
better post..

If you want a good post with more setback and a better 2-bolt clamp with fine angle adjustment, try an FSA K-force with the short setback or an ITM Millemium. Either has at least 5mm moe setback maybe more. The FSA K-force also comes in a model wiht 1cm more setback.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I sit corrected.

you can just remove the post and take a look in the tube also
Did that and, yep, the post is two-piece with the joint on the outside surface of the post almost perfectly filled and polished out.

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
C-40 said:
If you want a good post with more setback and a better 2-bolt clamp with fine angle adjustment, try an FSA K-force with the short setback or an ITM Millemium. Either has at least 5mm moe setback maybe more. The FSA K-force also comes in a model wiht 1cm more setback.
thanks for the heads up on FSA, I want to stay away from Carbon Posts though, came across this aluminum one by FSA

http://www.triathlete.com/store/product.php?id=37912

The FSA website doesn't list it in a 250 mm length though, but around the web I've seen it at other sites with 250 listed. Now if it's available or not, I haven't looked into it yet.

That set back looks pretty good, it'll stop me from clamping on the front extreme of the rails. I wonder how that one is. I don't want to start a seatpost collection., seeing as if I try it I buy it, so to speak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts