Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Trek 2100 with RX100 shifters. I hadn't ridden the Trek in years but I took it to my LBS to modify it for the Mt. Washington Hill Climb. When I push the finger paddle (the smallest lever) on the right shifter, the chain moves from small cog to larger cog (up).

I also have a Kuota Kharma with Ultegra shifters and the finger paddle on the right shifter moves the chain from larger to smaller cog (down).

Which way should the chain go or is it dependent on shifter type?:confused:

Thanks

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
toxictarheel said:
I've got an old Trek 2100 with RX100 shifters. I hadn't ridden the Trek in years but I took it to my LBS to modify it for the Mt. Washington Hill Climb. When I push the finger paddle (the smallest lever) on the right shifter, the chain moves from small cog to larger cog (up).

I also have a Kuota Kharma with Ultegra shifters and the finger paddle on the right shifter moves the chain from larger to smaller cog (down).

Which way should the chain go or is it dependent on shifter type?:confused:

Thanks
Hard to imagine this. The small paddle should dump the chain to a smaller cog. Unless I'm totally misreading this.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
i'm guesing the trek has a rapid-rise derailleur, which is low-normal. what that means to you is the spring in the derailleur makes it work in reverse to 'normal' derailleurs.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
cxwrench said:
i'm guesing the trek has a rapid-rise derailleur, which is low-normal. what that means to you is the spring in the derailleur makes it work in reverse to 'normal' derailleurs.
bingo.....I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how....that's got to be it...

the OP said it was modified for a hill climb...I'll bet he had a Shimano mtn rapid rise derailleur installed...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
the OP said it was modified for a hill climb...I'll bet he had a Shimano mtn rapid rise derailleur installed...
Darn, I knew this one but you guys beat me to it!

Some Shimano MTB rear derailleurs can be switched from rapid rise to regular... I think those were around 2001-2002.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd switch the derailleur to a normal [non- rapid rise]. To own 2 bikes, one having rapid rise and one normal would drive me nuts. Everytime you go to change gears, you'll have to stop and think "which lever to push which way?"

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
bingo.....I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how....that's got to be it...

It makes sense now, but why would the shop take it on itself to do that, and why wouldn't they mention the switch? :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help! You guys were on the money.

The derailleur does work backwards from my other bike. I called up the bike shop and they said they could switch it out for a "normal" derailleur.

I wanted a 1:1 ratio for the hill climb so they replaced the front and rear derailleur and put on a wide-range cassette (11-32). I don't know why they didn't mention that the shifting was "different" when I picked it up.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts