Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Take out the insoles and anything else removeable, and put them in front of a fan. They'll dry faster with air movement. Use a hair dryer on medium if you want to speed it up.

Febreze or similar is a good idea once they're dry.

With all respect, Dave and Fred, that newspaper trick don't work. That was for leather shoes that would shrink, and the newspaper was to keep their shape, not accelerate drying. Air circulation and moderate heat is the trick.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree with Dave. Check the newspaper once in a while, and replace it with dry when it gets pretty damp. Fabreeze is good. You also might want to try Lysol spray to kill mold, or baking powder, which absorbs odors like crazy.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
JCavilia said:
With all respect, Dave and Fred, that newspaper trick don't work. That was for leather shoes that would shrink, and the newspaper was to keep their shape, not accelerate drying. Air circulation and moderate heat is the trick.

have you tried it? I have, numerous times (lorica/mesh sidis)... it works. the moisture is drawn into the paper, so you need to replace when damp, as Versatile said. I first heard of it for ski boots, and while I am old it was not in the days of leather boots. I agree air circulation is good, but too much heat can be bad. the paper trick will help dry even without air circulation

· Registered
5,196 Posts
I have done this with no adverse effects to shoes

My shoes got really dirty wet on a ride. As did the rest of my clothes. I put all of them into the washing machine and then dried them out using the newspapers. Worked out fine.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
baking powder, which absorbs odors like crazy.
You mean baking soda.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Dave said it. Takes the insoles out first.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I have tried it.

FatTireFred said:
have you tried it? I have, numerous times (lorica/mesh sidis)... it works. the moisture is drawn into the paper, so you need to replace when damp, as Versatile said. I first heard of it for ski boots, and while I am old it was not in the days of leather boots. I agree air circulation is good, but too much heat can be bad. the paper trick will help dry even without air circulation
I think they dry much faster with just air, though I haven't done a controlled study (that would be easy, come to think of it, since there are generally two wet shoes). The paper does absorb some water, but once it's wet the drying slows considerably until you swap out the paper.

Yes, excess heat can cause damage, but moderate heat does no harm and speeds drying considerably.

There are a whole bunch of products on the market for drying shoes and boots (and I've seen some clever do-it-yourself designs), They all work by circulating warm air inside the shoes.

I'll keep using the fan. Maybe next time I get a real soaker I'll try the side-by-side comparison with the paper.

The baking soda seems like a good idea.

My first ski boots were leather ;-)

· Registered
83 Posts
JCavilia said:
I think they dry much faster with just air, though I haven't done a controlled study (that would be easy, come to think of it, since there are generally two wet shoes). The paper does absorb some water, but once it's wet the drying slows considerably until you swap out the paper.

Yes, excess heat can cause damage, but moderate heat does no harm and speeds drying considerably.

There are a whole bunch of products on the market for drying shoes and boots (and I've seen some clever do-it-yourself designs), They all work by circulating warm air inside the shoes.

I'll keep using the fan. Maybe next time I get a real soaker I'll try the side-by-side comparison with the paper.

The baking soda seems like a good idea.

My first ski boots were leather ;-)
Try both of them together and they'll dry even faster. However, don't cram the shoes with newspaper tight enough to keep the shape. Just loosely wad a few pages and stuff them in. Loose is key (not c0d3! :D ). If you wad it up tightly, the moisture doesn't absorb as well into the paper (I've tried it; I used to belong to the 'if some is good, more is better' school of thought). :thumbsup: As silly as it sounds, newspaper is the best at getting the last bit of dampness out of shoes.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I got caught in the rain on a morning ride yesterday. I pulled the insoles, stuffed with paper, put in front of a fan. Changed the paper about 3 times in the first hour, then left to dry in front of the fan. Worked great and shoes were completely dried by yesterday PM.
PS: Also, remove cleat covers, if you use them, so that water can drain out of the holes for the cleats.

· I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
Set your shoes in front of a fan and let it blow on them overnight. They will be dry in the morning. I have never used newspaper. I even soak my shoes with the garden hose when I get home if it's been a dirty/muddy ride. Completely soaking wet shoes will dry overnight in front of a fan. Remove the insoles and open the shoes as much as possible to let the air flow through. No heat, no newspaper, end of story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.