Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Shimano SL's or Look A5's?????

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  trijunior 
#1 ·
I have used SPD-R's and am ready to change. I have never liked how they engage or disengage, although I love the wide platform...

I would like some opinions as to which of the above pedals would be preferable and why.
I have heard and read good things about both...

thanks in advance,
jay

#4 · (Edited)
I've had both the looks and the shimano SL's.

I'm now using the Shimano pedals.

Edit: To elaborate, the shimano provided better cleats (didn't wear as fast), better clip in/out (more positive), were lighter, better, more solid platform, were lower profile, felt more "solid" sprinting (to me), etc. etc.

The looks were good, though.

#7 ·
good pedals but there are a lot of good pedals out there

personally, I've gone from the Dura Ace spd's (94-99) to the spd-r;s (00-02) and the Dura ace sl's (03-). I have about a year and a half on the sl's with no complaints. Easy entry, easy release. Never an unexpected release. They're attractively priced over at Totalcycling.com (even with the drop in the $). I would not hesitate to buy them again for another bike.

All that being said, there's so many quality choices out there these days that it's probably a good idea to look around at some other choices (look, speedplay, etc)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.