Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Shimano Sora Flight Deck Shifters last week from a friend. These are the ones that have the thumb shifters.

I have not built up my road bike yet, so I thought I'd just mount these shifters on the set of bars that I'm going to use.

I was playing with the left shifter, and suddenly, I lose all "tension". This means that both the upshift and downshift shifters did not click at all. They still spring back to their resting position, but compared to the working right shifter, I do not get any clicks.

I removed the top cap to check out the internals, but no luck. However, once or twice, it would work again. However, when I shifted down or up, it would not work again.

Here's a video. Listen carefully for the clicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxxoJp3aXs

At one point I thought I had fixed it, but after about 3-4 shift cycles (upshifts/down), it wouldn't function again.

It definitely has something to do with the spring on top, and the rectangular block (see pics). If I position it a certain way and move the shifters, I can feel and even HEAR it engage! Anyone have any knowledge on it.?

Thanks everyone! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
In addition to what Dave said (wherein you can often bring "unrepairable" Shimano STI shifters back to life), have you tried it with a cable installed and tension on same? Can make a big difference as cable tension assists the "return" action of any integrated brake lever/shifter (yes, "brifter" is a stupid word.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am unsure how WD40 would help. I know that it lubricates the parts, but what else?

I have not tried it with a cable installed yet. I figured it would work on its own, without a cable (the right side operates perfectly without a cable installed).

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
De-gunking

scoobydrew said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am unsure how WD40 would help. I know that it lubricates the parts, but what else?

I have not tried it with a cable installed yet. I figured it would work on its own, without a cable (the right side operates perfectly without a cable installed).
The WD-40 is serving as a solvent, not a lube. It's possible that your shifters are simply gunked up, and shooting solvent into the mechanism while working the shifter up and down repeatedly will cut the gunk. If this is your problem, then the solvent application is the cure (remember to relube afterward). If the problem is something else, you're mostly screwed with Shimano shifters because there's "no user serviceable parts inside."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts