Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I the only one who sees the weird alignment issues in nearly every Shimano crankset?

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Font Auto part Black

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Rim

Circle Iron Number Measuring instrument Gear

Doesn't anyone else see the uneven gaps and broken contours that show up even in the official product photos?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
have 7400, 6600, and 7800 cranks, no alignment problems with them.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
I have 4600, 5603, 6703, and 6800 cranksets. Never an alignment problem.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I'll have to check my Ultegra 6750, haven't noticed any misalignment in the spider / chain rings.... maybe its a four thing vs. five arms?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's an aesthetic imperfection, and a very minor one at that.

I'd sooner take exception to the color (Ultegra) of the tinting than the minor fit imperfections.

Generally speaking, they are perfect where it counts. I have Ultegra and DuraAce 11sp drive trains on all of my bikes, and when properly set up, they run flawlessly.

Edit to add:
I just did some quick google image searches for other brands of cranksets, and I don't notice that the spiders on ANY of them fit with flawless perfection. Why are you singling out Shimano here?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I just did some quick google image searches for other brands of cranksets, and I don't notice that the spiders on ANY of them fit with flawless perfection. Why are you singling out Shimano here?
He's not singling out the brand, just the newer models. All of the older model Shimano cranksets do fit fine. So do the Campy ones (old and new), and SRAM, as far as I know. I agree that the fit of the newest 4-arm sets from Shimano is terrible.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Based on the verbiage he used in the DA9100 thread, it sounded like he was saying this has been an ongoing issue for Shimano (see thread title)

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Must be only the newer 4 arm spiders... my 5 arms look fine

Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle tire Bicycle part Spoke

Steering part Steering wheel Purple Machine Metal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts