Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received some Dura Ace STI shifters that the seller stated had a problem with the rear shifter. The left/front shifter works perfectly, but the other shifts three positions down the cog on the first click of the small lever. The remaining clicks are usually spot on.

Basically, the shifts up the cog go from 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 exactly as they are supposed to but going back down the cog it goes from 9 to 6 5 4 3 2 1. I have cleaned the interior out with some WD-40 and that little straw that comes with it and then put some lube back in but that has not solved the issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or know of a fix for it. I got these knowing that it may be likely that I have to replace the right shifter, but I sure would love to be able to get it working.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Take it to a good bike shop. It requires proper alignment. Alternatively, if you are handy, the Park tool site and possibly Sheldon Browns site have directions on how to set up the shifting. It can be a cable housing has an internal split causing sloppy cable tension. There are a number of things it could be. A lot of times changing to new cables and housings fixes shifting gremlins when everyone else is trying to figure out what is wrong with the shifter.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Insight Driver said:
Take it to a good bike shop. It requires proper alignment. Alternatively, if you are handy, the Park tool site and possibly Sheldon Browns site have directions on how to set up the shifting. It can be a cable housing has an internal split causing sloppy cable tension. There are a number of things it could be. A lot of times changing to new cables and housings fixes shifting gremlins when everyone else is trying to figure out what is wrong with the shifter.
I got the shifters "naked" and splurged on the Dura Ace cable kit for $14.99 at the LBS, so the cables are definitely not the issue.

Also, I am able to duplicate the problem with a "naked" shifter.

As far as taking it to a bike shop, I am not totally opposed to this, but I would like to try and fix it myself if possible. I like to know how things work and fixing them is usually a good way to find out, (tubular tire installation not withstanding)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.