Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking to convert a bike with Tiagra to Campy 10sp (Centaur/Veloce).

At the very least, I assume I must have Campy shifters, Campy-type cable, Campy-compatible chain, and F/R derailleurs?

Since I'm at Tiagra (9 spd), I'll also need some type of 10 spd crankset (though not necessarily Campy)? Also, I can continue to run my Tektro brakes, though I won't be able to activate the quick release from the Campy hood?

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, so any parts that can be recycled will help.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I can help you be more cheap. Any 5.9mm 10 spd shimano style chain is good. Leave the crankset. levers and RD is a definite change. FD not so. I have a shimano FD working with a Campy lever. Brakes are fine. You now have 2 ways of adding clearance.

So, levers, cassette, chain, RD. you'll be good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip RE: the 5.9mm chain.

So the only issue with the Campy cables is how they insert into the shifters, not how they insert into both the shifters and derailleurs? (if so, it makes sense why a new FD isn't needed, only a new RD to handle the 10 shifts)

·
Registered
969 Posts
You have to decide what you mean by "convert". You can do anything from just using the campy shifters (I use campagnolo veloce 10sp shifters with shimano rear derailleur and sram 9-speed cassettes), to changing everything to campagnolo. Take your pick and we can let you know to make it work

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Specifically, I wish to take a 9 spd Tiagra (with compact crankset) to a 10 spd system, with a standard crank and Campy shifters.

Thanks

(forgot to mention the compact crankset in my previous post)

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
tx_newbie said:
Thanks for the tip RE: the 5.9mm chain.

So the only issue with the Campy cables is how they insert into the shifters, not how they insert into both the shifters and derailleurs? (if so, it makes sense why a new FD isn't needed, only a new RD to handle the 10 shifts)
not quite sure what you mean here, but it reminds me that as you say you also need campy or compatible shifter cables. if the ends at the levers don't seat properly, your'e going to have shifting problems.

if you are not sure, the installation booklets are online at the campy site.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
bikerjulio said:
not quite sure what you mean here, but it reminds me that as you say you also need campy or compatible shifter cables. if the ends at the levers don't seat properly, your'e going to have shifting problems.

if you are not sure, the installation booklets are online at the campy site.
I think he is bringing to issue the shape/size of the Campy cable heads compared to Shimano cable heads. Although many confident bike shops just grind off a small chunk of Shimano cable heads in order to fit Campy shifters, the end result is probably not ideal.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Get Campy cables. They usually come with the shifters. The last thing you want is a cable head wedged into the shifter. It takes time, a steady hand and a drill to get them out. Trust me on this.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Convert

Shimano front derailer works with Campy shifter. You are just pulling cable and you get the bonus that you can trim the front derailer.

Cable heads for Campy are smaller. If you are too cheap or cant find Campy headed cables then grind the Shimano heads down smaller so they seat. New housing would be a good idea, at a bare minimum replace the short piece of housing at the rear derailer since it is the tightest bend and gets the most gunk from riding.

tx_newbie said:
...I can continue to run my Tektro brakes, though I won't be able to activate the quick release from the Campy hood?
Yes, you can open the brake calipers from the hoods as well as from the lever at the calipers.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
more...

I don't think that anybody mentioned that the Campy cassette won't go on a Shimano wheel, so that's a major problem. Genuine Shimano wheels can't be converted to Campy with a change of the cassette body on the hub, but most other brands can.

You may want to look into a J-tek shiftmate. There should be a model that would premit the use of you existing RD with a Shimano 10 cassette, but then you're really just getting Campy shifters and nothing else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts