Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have an Italian steel bike that I built with 9 speed Shimano Ultegra. I'd like to update to 10 speed Campy Record. I was thinking of doing it slowly, by updating shifters first and a cassette(heard some manifactures have Campy spacing cassette that will fit on a Shimano hub), then the rest of the bike. Do I need to replace rear durailer also?. In the front I am running compact FSA 10 speed. Also I heard that spacing on Shimano 10 speed cassette is very close to Campy 10 speed. Does anyone have any expirience of running Campy 10 speed with Shimano 10 speed cassette? Any idea how much it will cost? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Campy shifters will definitely NOT work with any Shimano rear derailleur, nor are the 10 speed cassettes interchangeable.

American Classic makes a Campy compatible 10 speed cassette which will fit on your Shimano 9 speed freehub body, so you can use your existing wheels.

·
vulture chow
229 Posts

·
Cat Herder
148 Posts
test before you speak

Richard said:
Campy shifters will definitely NOT work with any Shimano rear derailleur.
That's the problem with this forum, too many people who don't know the facts. The fact is, yes, you can use Campy shifters with a ShimaNo 10 speed cassette and/or a ShimaNo derailleur. I run this on two bikes, and have set up a third (someone else who's doing the same thing as the original poster).

The derailleur has no idea what's shifting it, nor does it have any type of built-in indexing itself. All it has is an upper and lower limit. THAT'S IT. So, it can shift anywhere in between. The equipment "calling the shots" on how far to move the chain is the shifter. You can use a ShimaNo or Campy derailleur, the only thing you have to make sure is that you're running 10 on the cassette with 10 speed shifters.

NOW, as far as the cassettes being interchangable, that's a yes AND no answer. Yes, you can use either a ShimaNo or Campy 10 speed cassette with Campy shifters. Same if you're using ShimaNo shifters. The spacing on the cassettes is so similar that it doesn't matter. The catch is, you can't use a Campy cassette on a ShimaNo wheelset, or a ShimaNo cassette on a Campy wheelset. You have to go ShimaNo/ShimaNo or Campy/Campy, unless you buy a conversion cassette which coincidentally doesn't work on all hubs (Power Tap for example).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shimangolo

Thank you, folks. That was a lot of info in 2 hours. Need to chose what method to use for the update.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can run campy 10-speed ergo with shimano 9 RD and cassette. When you run the cable into the RD, turn the cable clamp washer 90 degrees counterclockwise, so the little hooked tab is now where the cable is. Run the cable around the outside of the hook, and under the back of the washer to hold it. The extra lever distance from running over the tab changes the cable pull to just match the ergo 10sp.

http://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html

Remember to thumb the shifter all the way down to smallest cog (normal Campy install) before clamping; the RD will stop the lever after 8 clicks for 9 speeds.

This works very well for me, although I would prefer not to have the bend in the cable. Some simple machined clamp washers with the same cable offset would probably do the job more cleanly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.