Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put together a bike using shimano 9 sp triple set up and I have a extra dura ace short cage RD. Will it work with a 12-25 cassette I'll be using, If not how can I make it work 11-23 cassette??? Or do I really have to use a long cage RD. I guess by reading other post If I want to convert my drivetrain to 10 speed all I need is the shifter and the cassette?? Thanks!!!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,024 Posts
The problem with the short cage......

skyline377 said:
I am about to put together a bike using shimano 9 sp triple set up and I have a extra dura ace short cage RD. Will it work with a 12-25 cassette I'll be using, If not how can I make it work 11-23 cassette??? Or do I really have to use a long cage RD. I guess by reading other post If I want to convert my drivetrain to 10 speed all I need is the shifter and the cassette?? Thanks!!!
with a triple is chain take-up. You need enough chain to do the Big Ring/Big Cassette to give you a margin of error. If you have this much chain, and you are in the small Ring/Small cassette, the Der can not keep adequate tension on the chain.

The only way to use the short cage is to use less chain....that's OK as long as you don't forget and go into too big a Cahin Ring/Cog combination....as soon as you do, you will either damage the Der, or rip it off the hanger probably into the spokes.

For my money, it's not worth the risk.

Len

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.