Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already read the threads that came up when I searched "Shimano A520". Just looking for some more feedback from users. :wink:

I had purchased a set of Nashbar (read Wellgo) double-sided SPD mountain pedals that appear similar to the Shimano M520's. Picked these mainly because I got a good buy on them from an eBay auction (approx. $15.00 delivered), and because I wasn't sure I'd like riding clipless. So I find that I actually like riding with these things.:cool: But now that I've got a few months of riding in with them, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't put these on the old Schwinn Moab MTB, and get a set of Shimano's PD-A520 for the old touring/road bike. :idea:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Don't the A520s use the MTB cleats? If you need spuds for the Moab, sure--move 'em over. I'm not sure what advantage there'd be to using a single-sided pedal over a double; theoretically, if you have 'em lubed properly and they work the way the should, they'll always be positioned consistently when you're trying to clip in, but otherwise...why? (I ask this after having used some knockoffs of Shimano "sport" road pedals--they were O.K., but offered no real advantage to me.)

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
I use the SPD 520s on everything I have except for the mtn bike which has the 520 like pedal with a cage. The cage is worthless....so when they wear out it will probably get 520s.

I've never had problems with them. I had a set of wellgo's and I didn't like them. The side to side float was wayy different than the 520. Much tighter. This was a wellgo pedal from about 2001...so they may have changed since.

I also used the shimano cleat in it....maybe that was part of the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.