Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had it. I replaced my old, rattling, falling apart Ultegra shifters with a brand new pair and after less than a year, the left lever has developed its own annoying rattle. I'm sure a rattle in the right one isn't far behind. Is there a fix for this? For what Shimano charges I think the quality should be much better. I'm about ready to go back to down-tube shifters and plain brake levers. If I rode my road bike more, I'd look at switching to SRAM like I've done on my mountain bikes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Are you sure it's just not the brake cable not allowing the shifter to return to it's proper position?? I had an issue with my Ultegra STI shifter after doing a few really wet rides. I noticed that the left shifter was rattling a bit. Once I got home I had a better look and noticed that after pressing the brake the lever wasn't fully return to it's set position and therefore the rattle. Once I wiggled the housing close to the brake caliper the shifter would be silent. I adjusted the housing to sit more vertical as it entered the caliper and seems to have done the trick. I'll be replacing the housing and cable over the winter since the bike has been caught in major downpours more then a few times.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agreed with RBart. Make sure to tighten all the cabling and ensure that the housing isn't preventing the cable stop from returning all the way down.

Ultegra is actually a great gruppo. I've thrown a lot at mine, and never had any trouble with it. Actually, it shifts better than Dura-Ace when wet or grimy.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Ultegra 9 speed shifter rattle is common. You need to pry off the nameplate (from the bottom) and tighten down the screw that holds the little nameplate holder. If you have a 10 speed system, the Ultegra nameplate might be held down with a screw (like Dura Ace)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.