Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had it. I replaced my old, rattling, falling apart Ultegra shifters with a brand new pair and after less than a year, the left lever has developed its own annoying rattle. I'm sure a rattle in the right one isn't far behind. Is there a fix for this? For what Shimano charges I think the quality should be much better. I'm about ready to go back to down-tube shifters and plain brake levers. If I rode my road bike more, I'd look at switching to SRAM like I've done on my mountain bikes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
266 Posts
I hear ya brutha

well, that kind of depends on what part is rattling. if its the front name plate, you can pop off the front peice and tighten up the screw holding the clip then snap the name plate back on . there is a thread on it here, somewhere. I read it a while back when mine were rattling. there are some other good tips in that threadtoo.

· Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
sevenspd said:
Okay, I've had it. I replaced my old, rattling, falling apart Ultegra shifters with a brand new pair and after less than a year, the left lever has developed its own annoying rattle. I'm sure a rattle in the right one isn't far behind. Is there a fix for this? For what Shimano charges I think the quality should be much better. I'm about ready to go back to down-tube shifters and plain brake levers. If I rode my road bike more, I'd look at switching to SRAM like I've done on my mountain bikes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
If it's the large shifting lever (brake lever) against the small one, I think the rubber ring slid down from the small lever. There's usually a small rubber ring around the small shift lever that prevents the two plastic/metal levers touching each other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.